Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14B SF Price.......is this a fair deal?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BurbinOR, Dec 8, 2000.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Have a local guy that has two SF 14 bolts.......one 6 lug and one 8 lug (didn't know then made 8 lug SF, but that's beside my point [​IMG]. I am looking into the 6 lug, wanting to keep my Centerlines. I will know for sure on Sunday, but if it has 3.73 gears (like my existing 12 bolt does) and a "factory posi" (the dreaded GovLoc?) is it worth $200. Future plan would be 4.56 gears with a Detroit. I am thinking it is NOT, as it does not have brakes or backing plates. If I convert it to TSM rear disks, don't I still need the backing plates or not?

Anyway, your esteemed opinions are requested. Seems I have heard of getting these for about $150 with brakes, would have liked it to be a bolt in affair.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

2. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

With no brakes offer him $50-$75 for it. Don't know about the TSM kit. Messure the sring plates to make sure thay are the same. I was told the late model(92-98) axels are too narrow. The 8 lug 14sf is what I have in my 86 Sub. 3/4 ton.

blazen91
    Protect the land FOR the people
    <font color=red>Not FROM the people</font color=red>

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Back to the top.........someone else must have input.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have to agree with Mike, $50-$75 is probably more than fair since you'll have to buy new brakes, drums and backing plates.
    The gov-lock isn't the most desirable LSD goin' either, so basically you'd be buying a core.
    I'm pretty sure the TSM kit comes with its own backing plates, so that may be the way to go.

Rene

[​IMG]

5. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

The SF14 bolt came in alot of 3/4 ton subs

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Well, Rene, I could always ace the GovLok and drive up to BC and have you make it a Lincoln Locker!!!!!!!!!!

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Bring it on up dude! At least then it'd be a LOCKER![​IMG]

Rene (gettin funny looks goin' thru the drivethrough now!)

[​IMG]

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Chirp, chirp, chirp [​IMG].........gotta love it.

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The average price around here for the 8-lug SF 14 bolt is about $250, though I have found complete assemblies for $100. The 8-lug versions were very common on 3/4 ton pickups and Subs starting back in the early or mid-80's. The 6-lug versions came out with the new body style pickups in '88 and were used in some light duty 2500 (3/4 ton) series and few assorted 1500's (1/2 tons) with the trailer towing package. This also means that you will have to move the spring pads and probably the shock mounts to bolt up a factory 6-lug 14 bolt to the older style truck, and I'm not sure about the overall width. The 8-lug could be from either the newer or older style trucks. A version from the older style should pretty much be a bolt-in.

10. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Mine is an 8-lugger and the spring pads are the same width apart, but i never measured overall width or shock mounts.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com