Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14b SF swap questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by firefighter184, Feb 27, 2005.

1. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Did a search, but after 1/2 hour of reading, couldnt find my answers.

1) I know there are e-brake issues with swapping in a 14b FF, but what about the semi-float? I really want an e-brake.

2) NAPA or other supplier part number for the longer rear brake line set-up?

3) Looks like the SF will be able to re-use the u-bolts from my 10bolt. True? I'll probably get new ones, but I need to know which ones to get if I do.

FINALLY getting the 3/4 ton done. I'm happy.:D

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

1) Tough call. What year SF do you have? If it was a C/K one from about 1985-1987 (or 91 if burb I guess) then the cable setup should work on your '89, which is what we are dealing with, right? E-brake cable setup changed in about 1985, so anything earlier will have equal length brake lines coming off the backing plates..later are unequal because the "main" ebrake cable comes down the drivers side of the frame only.

2) Someone else said that their 10 bolt lines bolted right up.

3) Can't re-use the u-bolts. Bigger diameter axle tubes than a 10 bolt. 14FF and SF share same axle tube diameter though, so easy to find a donor in a wrecking yard if you have access. Might as well get spring plates at the same time, although the 10 bolt ones can be made to fit if the holes are opened up. 15/16" is what gets the u-bolts off on all the axles.

3. CARL

CARL Registered Member

14 Bolt Swap

Hi Firefighter...

Why can't you use the rear end you want with the corresponding cables or have custom cables made. My dually has had a couple of rears changed over and I have not had any problems for using older cases and rebuilding the guts for less down time. Chevy always seems interchangeable for me.

4. jacksprat1599

jacksprat1599 Registered Member

I did this very swap into my 89 suburban.brake lines and ebrakes bolted right up,I did need the bigger u-bolts though.

5. big4x4ride

big4x4ride 1/2 ton status

This is intereing here, I did a 14 bolt FF swap in an 82 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 Diesel, has a 10 bolt in it, and used the U bolts off the 10B when i installed the FF, anyone know if the diesel 10B was any different that others?

6. dyeager535

No difference.

All I know is that the 10 bolt axle tubes are smaller diameter than the 14SF and 14FF, and a *properly fitted* u-bolt cannot fit two different diameter axle tubes. Without getting fancy and re-bending, you'd have to pound the u-bolt over the thicker tube, and would end up with the two ends pointed out at an angle, not vertically like normal.

Edit: 14SF/FF u-bolts are 4.75" from one tip of the "U" to the other, measured on the outside of the threaded portion. The 10 bolt measurement is 4.275". In other words, probably 1/2" difference in axle tube diameter/u-bolt size.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  7. big4x4ride

big4x4ride 1/2 ton status

Hmmm, wonder what the deal was then, becaus elike i say i used the u bolts anfd top plates off of the 10 bolt on the 14 bolt FF

8. dyeager535

Apparently the later D44 and 12 bolt share the same axle tube diameter, 3", and the 10 bolt SHOULD BE the same. (couldn't find anything with *specifically* 10 bolt diameter mentioned though)

The 14SF/FF use 3 3/8" tubes.

LATE 10 bolt stuff might use larger tubes, since the center section changed somewhat, and the brake backing plate flange is now the same size/pattern as the newer 14FF's, and all 14SF's.

9. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

I put an '84 14sf in my '87 Blazer. The 10 bolt Ebrake cables installed into the 14sf backing plates no problem, some fiddling was necesary to the slack adjusters on the cables but it has worked fine for 2 years now. The ubolts from the 10 bolt did fit the 14sf, but they were part of the Tufcountry lift I had on at the time, didn't have to hammer or bend anything. Brake lines (hydraulic) were bolt in also. Only other thing was a Napa #447 conversion ujoint.

10. Ledzoso

Ledzoso Registered Member

Dont, know the answer to your question...just wanted to say hey to a fellow firefighter...PTB EGH

11. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

What up smoke-eater?