Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14b views and opinions (bearing retention related)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Feb 10, 2003.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

So, having only messed with 2 14b's, I got to check out the way the bearings are retained in the hub. Out of the 2 styles that I have, I prefer the keyed single nut style, as opposed to the dual nut bent ear lockring thingy. Which do you think is better, or which do you prefer?

2. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Very interesting. I have only seen the single nut with the key on a 14b. I have, however had the displeasure of messing with the dual nut/bent ear thing on some front axles, and that one just generally sucks.

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ah good ol front bearings. Luckily, my 10b front had that weird looking pin style lock that goes between the two nuts. The dual nut style that I have was on a 3/4 ton 14b from an early 80's pickup. The single nut style that I have came from a van width 1 ton 14b. Don't know if that makes any difference or not.

4. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

The last 14B I messed with was a van-width (under outlaw612's truck now), and it had the single nut style. Wonder if it is a year issue? Where the hell is Wes when you need him? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif