Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bff 6 lug questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hossbaby50, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am going to put a 14bff in my truck this summer. I don't have the money for a D60, so I was thinking about getting the 14b machined to 6 lug. My questions are:

1. Who can machine them for me, and what would it cost.
    2. What parts have to be machined. Obveously the hubs, and the axles need filled and drilled, and the drums need drilled, but what else is involved.

I know I will need new rims. Should I get the 14bff converted to 6 lug, or should I just stick with 8 lug? opinions welcome.

Thanks

Harley

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I have a friend that turned a 14 bolt FF in a 6 lug SF. He had the spindles cut off and replaced with aftermarket Ford 9" housing ends. He got some Moser SF axles made and did custom disc brakes.

It's in aToyota so weight carrying ability wasn't an issue, he was only looking for ring & pinion strength. Looks REAL cool!

80 K10 w/ 468 and 1 ton stuff
    You don't scare me, I got chunks of guy's like you in my stool!
    www.nvrenuf.fws1.com

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Hey Harley,

Why don't you just convert you 10 bolt 6-lug to an 8 lug? That is what I am going do when I put the 14bff in the rear and get my new wheels...I don't see any reason to convert the rear to 6-lug then convert my future (way in the future) D60 to 6 lug...I am gonna start hitting some local yrds looking for the 3/4ton 10bolt stuff if you wanna join me someday...

Later...

Chris

Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/fortcollinsram>My 87 Blazer</a>

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

That is probably what I am going to do. Just wanted to know what the costs, and how hard it is to convert the 14bff to 6 lug. Let me know when you are going to go to the yards. The reason I am considering a 6 lug FF is I might not change my front. It would save me money depending on what the conversion costs are.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

OK, this is one of those things that everybody thinks would be great until they look at what it really involves. I think that you will find that converting your front to 8-lug and buying a new set of wheels will be cheaper than the work needed to convert the FF to 6-lug. My solution, ultimately, was to use a 14B SF to add beef beyond my ashpalt axle (10-bolt) without going to 8-lug. (My only gripe with 8-lug is that you can't run 15" aluminum wheels and I get tired of wheel rust here in Michigan.) You have to have the hub turned down, filled and drilled to 6-lug then you have to use smaller head bolts and change the hub to axle mounting. You end up with a bunch of custom parts, so if you do ever break something, you have to have them made again later. If you have a buddy with a machine shop or something, though, then it might work out well.

<font color=green>Today's Forecast: Partly cloudy with a chance of mud</font color=green>

6. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>A member of this site turned down the wheel hub to 4.175" on a standard brake drum lathe. Call around and tell machine shops what you want to do. It may be easier to convert to disks at the same time. It's still much easier to make your front 8 lug and get some 15" wheels. Find some that are powdercoated, they wont rust as easily as painted. Mine are white powdercoat and I rattle-canned them black. I've been wheeling down by the shore a few times (sand and salt water), and they havent started to rust yet.

7. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I was that member by the way I turned the hubs down then had a shop Mill the 6 holes cost was about 75.00 to have the hubs miled and and axels turned down. I reused the rotors that had allready had the genters opened up to the 4.175 to fit the Warn fullfloater kit. I had payed 30 to have the centers opened up.

72 Blazer 400TPI NV4500 NP203/205, 6 bolt FF14
    01 Suburban 8100 2500 4X4