Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bff 8 lug to 6 lug

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K30Blazer, Feb 10, 2007.

1. K30Blazer

K30Blazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am looking to go to a 14 bff rear and dana 44 front and would like to have the same bolt pattern. Currently have 6 lug so that is that I would like to stay with. Does anyone make a 14 bolt conversion kit from 8 to 6 lugs?

2. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

well this question is asked like at least a few times a month. theres a company at geartechhd.com, but i havent been able to get ahold of them for a while. i am in the same boat as you and would really like 6 lug ff. kinda like a sleeper type thing.

3. K30Blazer

K30Blazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

sorry, searched and nothing came up

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

It will be easier (and probably cheaper) to switch the front to 8-lug and get new wheels.

5. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

im pretty sure dynatrac sells a kit to do this, but its well over 1000$

6. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

A lot easier to put a 8 lug front on your truck and get new wheels 8 lug 15" rims on summitracing start at like 45 bucks a piece.

7. 85mudbogger

85mudbogger 1/2 ton status

IMO i would just try and find a 14b sf cuz its 6 lug like what your wanting and its plenty strong and would be cheaper than tryin to convert a ff or just get 2 8 lug wheels for the rear and run 6 lug in the front. if they are the same wheels whats the diff unless you couldnt stand haven 2 more lugs in the rear than the front. i have ran like this cuz i didnt have 8 lug hubs and no one ever made fun of me:D that i know of:haha:

8. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Not all 14bsf are 6-lug. In fact, they're somewhat rare judging from what I've been finding lately.

9. 85mudbogger

85mudbogger 1/2 ton status

i have 3 14bsf 6lug and 1 8 lug i know they are rare but cant you just buy 6 lug axles and drums for the 8 lug version i might have to go out and check this out and try this one, i was just sayin if he could find one it would be cheaper and without the 1 ton front what good is a 14bff in the back why not upgrade both and not just one, i havent broke nothin but my spiders in my 10b rear but now the front 4 short sides and one long and all had the ears taken right off so none were reusable. good thing i got 13 more sets for a ten bolt and when im thru with them ill go to my 5.13s and 60f:D Im just stating my opinion here i might be wrong about the 6 lug axles fitting the 8 lug sf but if they do i think it would be way cheaper to get a beefy 6 lug rear this way and not the 1000$ conversion kits. good look man:confused:

10. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Lets clear up all misconceptions...

To my knowledge a 14bFF can't be turned into 6lug economically.

14bSF come in 3 different lug patterns: 8 lug (most common), 6 lug, and 5 lug (very rare). The 14bsf first came out in 81 and was unchanged until the new body style trucks in 88. And in the original 81-87 run, the 14bsf is a dirrect bolt on, but only came in 8 lug. The newer style from 88 and up was available in all 3 lug patterns. 5 lug only came on the 454SS pickup, 6 lug came of some heavy duty 1500s and some light duty 2500s depending on the trucks GVRW rating and I believe the 7200lbs rating is what you need to look for, the 8 lug version came in most of the 2500s and some 3500s. The newer style will not bolt directly in because the spring perches and shock mounts are in different locations. So you can just cut them off and weld on new ones to the correct placement.

There is more info, but I don't have the time now to type it all up. So I say do a search on the 14bSF and 14bSF 6 lug conversions.