Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14BFF and ARB? Maybe

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by prjt_blzr, Dec 10, 2001.

1. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I just spoke with ARB again for the nth time in 4 years. They claim that they are actually working on the ARB for the 14BFF. Maybe a Spring release??? Of course I have been told this before but maybe they are not lying this time. One can only hope.

2. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the update!! I had to order my 14 without a locker cause I'm holding out for an ARB too to match the one in my D60! [​IMG]

One can only hope it'll be out soon!

Brian
    89KBlazer

Build it Right or Don't build it at all!!

3. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I'd like to say that I've been holding out for the ARB. My problem has been a lack of time to complete my project for five years now. Maybe it will actually run some day. The good thing about the delay will be only doing the rear axle once if ARB is serious this time. I should have plenty of time to work on the project after this week.

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Just curious, but what's the big deal about an ARB in the rear? I mean, in the front with steering, it makes definite sense. Especially when it doesn't cost much more than a regular detroit in most cases. but why the rear? A 14BFF detroit is only about $350. Couple hundred cheaper than most other Detroits and half that of any current ARBs. What's the advantage of unlocking the rear like you would need to do for the front? Just curious...

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

TX85,

From what I've heard about the Detroit.....while it IS a cheap, strong and effective locker for offroading....it can be downright dangerous in icy or snowy conditions when driving on the street! The effect of the locker tends to pull the truck off the "crown" of the road....typically than means into a ditch....at the very least, it creates oversteer which is more difficult for most drivers to deal with in a panic situation.

I think the appeal of the ARB is that the truck will keep it's good street manners, but can be just as "hard core" as a locker when needed in offroad situations.

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

6. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

A couple of reasons. I don't like a detroit in the ice. They tend to be more difficult to keep on the road when you blast through a corner and you hit that unexpected ice patch. The second reason is that I tow an 8,000Lb trailer every so often up over a few mountain passes in CO and don't want the rear tires locked up all of the time. The detroit is great for a dedicated off road truck or one that doesn't drag a heavy trailer through ice etc. I really do like the cost of the detroit over the ARB but if I have to make a choice I'll leave the rear open vs a detroit for this application. Nothing wrong with them, just like everything else though they have good and bad points.

7. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Don't hold your breath. They've got one of their testers here in town. The best date they could get me was spring of 2003 MAYBE! This will be a full carrier replacement, not like the detroit. The guy I talked to at ARB actulaly told me to go ahead and buy a detroit since it would be a while.

Kyle
    89K5

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Towing and the Detroit Locker aren't the best combination. When you're going down a steep hill, using engine braking, the outer wheel will disconnect from the drivetrain as you go through a curve. This puts all the engine braking load on the inside tire. Can make for some pretty interesting moments! Probably not a problem for flat landers, but in the Rockies it can keep your attention. [​IMG]

Think of it as turning brakes that engage when you least want them to. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

9. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

The passes here in the winter will keep your attention even without the detroit. Good point about the self steering option. I forgot to mention that.

10. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

Spring 2003 would not surprize me. These guys have lied a few too many times in the past about this product to be taken too seriously. Hopefully it is released in 2002 not 2003. Worse case is that I leave the rear open. Thanks for the additional input.

11. Parf

Parf Registered Member

Personaly, I really want a new <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tractech.com/WhatsNew.htm> Detroit Electrac™ </a> if they offer one for the 14 bolt, but it might just be vaporware like the Arb. I prefer wires over hoses all day long. But just in case...

<font color=red> -----Original Message-----
    Dear ARB USA Sales Folks,
    Me and my buddies sure wish you would make an air locker for the GM 14 bolt 10 1/2" full floater. It's too bad we will all have to buy detroits.

jparfenoff@iname.com </font color=red>

<font color=blue> -----Reply-----
    You are not alone, that is a locker that we are looking into. I am sure we will offer one soon.

Thank You,
    Jon Schalkle
    Midwest Regional Sales
    ARB USA, Inc. </font color=blue>

I think that we should have every member contact <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tractech.com/ContactUs.htm>Tractech Inc. (makers of the Detroit Locker)</a> and demand that they provide us with electric lockers for out 14bolts! Then we set up a group buy......(fades away into dreamland).........*

12. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Didn't think about all those reasons! Thanks guys. Yeah, my locker wouldn't be much fun on ice! And a big hill for me when towing is a 120' high highway interchange ramp!

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

13. HarryH3

Now THAT'S a cool product! I wish they had more info available on the web site! I like the idea of it being a limited slip when unlocked, rather than totally open. [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>

14. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

just sent Tractech an Email endorsing the 14BFF..........

15. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

What's that locker that was in a magazine a while back that was cable operated? THAT would be the ticket. Seems like it had Bull something in the name. I believe it was available for the D44 and 9 inch so far according to the article. Seems so much simpler than the air or electric lockers.

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

16. HarryH3

That's the Ox Locker. You can check it out at <a target="_blank" href=http://www.oxlocker.com>www.oxlocker.com</a> The jury is still out on reliability of the Ox. I haven't even found anyone that has one yet.

17. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

OX
    dont hold your breath they are introducing the dana 35 for jeeps before they do a dana 60 for crying out loud

18. HarryH3

Hmm, the Ox Locker web site appears to be gone. Did they go out of business already? [​IMG]

19. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

Bull/Ox, well I was close. I'd definitely like to see some hardcore testing on it. Big axles, big tires, big motor, some real abuse.

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

20. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

the only advantage i can see is that it would reduce tire wear
    I have a detroit and wouldnt trade it for an ARB
    I have lots of harsh winter miles running detroits it is safer then open once you learn how to use it. if there is a bare spot, put a tire in it and you will travel perfectly straight no matter what is under the other tire, try that with an open and see how much your towbill is, if you live.
    I have driven a short wheelbased COE International hiway tractor with a detroit, now that was hell in the turns with the locker induced backlash
    I still say a spool is the only thing better than a detroit, except for extremely heavy load applications. running a spool the heavy wieght would prevent the tire from scuffing off any bind and could cause bad stuff to occur. my axles are overkill for my shortbox though. the full floating axles also reduce the dangers of breaking an axle as it doesnt mean losing a wheel and control of the vehicle.