Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14BFF and Detroit Locker assembly ??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by aandpman, Jan 20, 2003.

1. aandpman

aandpman 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Getting ready to put the Detroit Locker in my 14FF /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif and have a couple of ??

I did Xploratory surgery today on the diff and found that I'll be needing to replace the carrier bearings. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Anyone know offhand the PN for those?

When reassembling the open type carrier with the DL inside, do you include the side thrust washers that came out of the open diff when it had the spider gears in it or just assemble it with no washers at all?

Thanks everyon for a great board! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I can't help with the part numbers, but you don't want to leave any of the thrust washers in place.

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Do NOT include the thrust washers that were part of the open diff. These MUSt be taken out. There should be nothing inside the carrier except the detroit locker unit itself.
    For the carrier bearings, I bought mine from Randy's R&P.
    -- Mike

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Bearing #s coming up. Just wait a couple of hours.

5. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Timken bearing 387A, Race 382A. I think they are the same as the inner bearings on a 14bff.

I had to replace mine when I installed my detroit too. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Mine wer $20 each (Timken brand) in my country.

6. aandpman

aandpman 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Just want to say I give Kudo's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif to Randy's Ring & Pinion Randy's Ring & Pinion.

I called them today to order bearings for the 14FF and WB's for one side of the D-44.

The order guy (Paul ext 5567) was very knowledgeable, friendly, and their prices on /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gifTimken /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif bearings were the best I have found (like who can even FIND timken locally anymore anyway).

Master overhaul kit W/O shims for the 14FF was $98 - that's Pinion Bearings, Carrier bearings, gasket, Pinion Nut & locktite

$29 for D-44 one side wheel bearings complete with seals and grease.

$4 for the Spindle Bearing Kit

297 u-joints (newer forged) were $21.63

I believe I'll use these guys again.

For all you rural folks - isn't internet mail order cool - all you need it a Credit Card and a telephone. Beats driving 50 mi to the nearest competent /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif Parts house....
    /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif