Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14BFF bearing surfaces

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by prjt_blzr, Sep 29, 2003.

1. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I'm in the process of looking for a 14BFF for the rear of my K5. I gave up on D70s as they seem to have driver side carrier bearing failures a little too often. Anyway, since the 14Bs have been out there for 30 years of hard use, all of the ones that I look at have wear on the spindle bearing surfaces. How much wear is too much or don't they really care?
    Thanks,
    Mike

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I don't see any problems with the D70's, I've had my 70HD in my 76' C30 since it was new and haven't had to touch it since but you never know. My 14BFF under my K5 didn't really have any spindle wear because the bearing race shouldn't turn on the spindle. Make sure the surface isn't goujed up, if it isn't and is nice and smooth and the hub and bearings turn smooth and tight than I wouldn't worry about it. I don't remember anything that actually spins on the spindle surface.

3. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I never heard anything bad about the D70 until I went looking for them. In the last two months I've looked at three D70 (non HD)and each one had the driver side carrier bearing spun. Unfortunately, that gouges up the surface on the carrier and the axle is just a failure waiting to happen. The D80 and most other truck axles use a hardened washer for this problem.

On the 14BFFs the spindles that I've seen have had the bearing spun on the spindle at some point. The surfaces are smooth but you can feel a lip between the bearing surface and the rest of the spindle. The hub and bearings turn smoothly though. If I wasn't setting up new gears and a locker in the axle I wouldn't really care too much.
    Mike

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, it's your call on what the surface looks like, mine never has spun on the spindle before.