Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bff bearings

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 454k30, Nov 25, 2006.

1. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Do the bearings in the 14bff get packed with grease? Mine is apart right now and it seems as if the 90w gear lube is the only thing in there! I want to put this together right.

2. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

No grease, just gear oil. It won't hurt to grease the bearings with assembly lube(white lithium) to protect them against pre-mature wear during initial movement/break-in. You can also lift the passenger side of the axle a couple inches when filling to add a little extra oil.
    Jimbo

3. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

hadnt thought of the tipping the vehicle thing but sounds like a good idea to get some extra oil in there.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Just don't overfill it too much.
    Oil expands when it gets hot and you need some breathing room in there.
    I usually just fill it till the oil is to the top of the hole and is flowing out and I plug it real quick, that usually is enough to keep both side lubed enough on off camber.
    :D

5. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

I packed the sh!t out of the bearings when I put mine together. Hopefully you can't have to much lube in there. :o

6. DaPlumber

DaPlumber 1/2 ton status

Fill it till the oil is to the top of the hole and then some more then put the plug in. Now lift one side up as much as you can for about 5 min. let the side down, now fill it up to the fill hole agine now lift the other side for 5 min. then fill agine!!! Or you may find what I did........

IMGP0653_resize.JPG

IMGP0654_resize.JPG

IMGP0655_resize.jpg

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006