Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bff brake caliper problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chev4life, Mar 30, 2004.

1. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

As it says, I am having issues putting on my pass side brake caliper on my 14ff discs. I got a reman 78 Cadi Caliper w/pads etc and I cant get the assy to slide over the disc, the pads are too close together...has anyone had this problem? What should I do? I have tried compressing the piston but it wont go anymore even with the ebrake lever disconnected. Should do some asphalt grinding on the pads to get the thickness down or am I missing something? The driver side went on no problem FYI, its just the pass side. Please help ASAP, I need to get this finished this afternoon, thanks.

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Doesn't one side "thread" in via the parking break lever. IE if you turn the parking brake stud won't it move the piston?

3. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

It moves the piston out, but I cant get the piston to move in anymore, if I could get it to move in 1/16" I would be set, know any tricks?

4. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would try actually rotating the piston if possible, I suppose you've tried the c-clamp and block of wood?

5. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

You have to rotate the piston as you conpress it or it will ruin the caliper. They make a little tool that fits inside the piston to help with this.

6. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

I would reallt like to know where to get one of them tools...any idea?
    Well I got it installed, I removed the small metal shim from the back of one of the pads and everything went together beautifully. Thanks for the help guys.

7. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Go to www.partsamerica.com and click on tools> brakes> specialty tools. It is the first one listed part number #648410.
    I was going to put it in my original post but I lost my internet connection.

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

definately need to rotate the piston, i just carefully use a big pair of channel lock pliers, being very careful not to tear the rubber boot. Always works for me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

You should be able to get the tool from any parts store, but i have heard of people having problems with them because the notches where the studs on the tool go, get wore out over time and prevent the tool from "sticking" in the slots.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Any auto parts store will have the tool.

If all else fails take the disc or belt sander to the pads just a little bit.

10. the cork

the cork 1/2 ton status

you can remove the lever then turn the shaft so it goes in,
    might be clockwise or counter clockwise, each side is different, after that you can press the piston farther in,
    then reinstall the lever, the problem with turning the piston is you have to turn it a complete 360, or the pads
    wont sit properly in the piston, the little holes in the surface, important that they do,