Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14BFF Brake Question.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nemesis_pyros, Aug 29, 2006.

1. nemesis_pyros

nemesis_pyros 1/2 ton status

Alright, I got a leaky wheel cylinder on my 14bolt. So I got to the parts store and find out there are 2 sizes. One with a bore of 15/16 and one with a bore of 1 3/16. At this time this vehicle is my only ride, is there a way to tell what size I have? I know the 14bolt is out of a 1 ton, and the bleeders on the current wheel cylinders are different sizes if that helps. Hope there is an easy way to tell. I'm buying a pint of brake fluid every week or two now:doah: .

Oh its on a 88 jimmy with a 10bolt front, and if there is no way to find out with out taking the wheel cylinders off, should I buy 2 of the big bore ones or 2 of the smaller bore ones.

2. longbedder

longbedder 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Buy one of each, take apart one side and replace the cylinder, take the other one back and exchange for the correct size. The only things you'll end up repeating that way are jacking it up, bleeding, and driving to the parts store.

3. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

visual comparison. when i did this (although i had another car to drive during it all), i just brought up the old one and the rubber seal things on the end look different, one is near identical, the other a bit different. longbedder sounds like he has the right idea. if you have enough money just buy two of each then return the wrong two after your done...

4. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Buy both, use one, return unused one. And just so's you know. if you pull th guts out of it, the bore size is molded into the piston seal.

5. nemesis_pyros

Ahh there we go thats the info I needed. Thanks, Looks like I'll be getting be doing some brakes this weekend. :laugh:

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

yup--

Not only are they marked on the cups what the bore size is,the castings on an 1-3/16 wheel cylinder is MUCH bigger than a 15/16" one!..usually,the larger bore cylinders are used with the larger brake shoes and drums ,if there are two choices of brake shoes (usually wider,not larger drums!)..If your good with a pair of calipers,its not impossible to peel back one boot and measure the pistons in the wheel cylinders..

This is why I have at least 2 vehicles--its nice to be able to drive the other one to the parts house ,and bring the old parts WITH you when playing the guessing games of what matches up!..:crazy:

7. nemesis_pyros

Ya I do have another vehicle, but that one is pretty much undrivable at the moment. I'm just gonna pick up both cylinders this weekend and bring back the one I don't use. I gotta bring back a core so i'll be making the stop anyway.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

and..

I forgot to add some wheel cylinders have casting numbers on them,and many stores can interchange the casting number to thier brands part numbers..:crazy: