Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bff breakage?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PsychoticDeadGuy, Nov 22, 2005.

1. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

i havent really seen any broken 14bff around here, but what does it take to break one? mine is lincoln locked and the rest of it is stock. what are the actual limits of this axle? i am sure i wont ever go past those limits but what will break one?

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

A heavy right foot... no gear oil... improperly set up gears. Im sure if you had lots of HP you could break them with big tires (like over 44" big). Those big military michelins could do it... heavy mo-fos.

j

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

We got a guy local that snapped a shaft on his 14 in his jeep, running 42" IROKS. A weak engine, Dana 300 tranny, you know, kinda run of the mill stuff. Super clean break, the shaft was either a bad shaft, or was just work out.

The biggest weakness of a 14 bolt strength wise, is they are used, and how were they used before you got it? The 14 that WAS in my truck, was in a 3/4 ton that had about 60k original miles. When I put it in, I had to rebuild most of the axle. It had been abused. They used the truck like a dump truck... The one I've got in there now, sat with water in the housing. Again, had to be re-worked, but what is wrong that I CAN'T see.

4. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

About the only beakage I've heard of is: spinning the axle tube loose from the diff. It's pretty hard to bust a 14's shaft. Not saying it can't be done, of course, just saying that it rarely happens.

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

6. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I kind of broke mine. My u-joint snapped on the yoke, when that happened it clean broke the ears of the yoke on the 14, I was on the street too. But I was being dumb and doing some burnouts with my 38's for the neighbors.

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

That video is amazing. If you watch the tires you can see the drivers side move about 1/2 a turn while the passenger barely moves at all.

Ira