Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bff carrier questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gone huntin, Jun 6, 2005.

1. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

OK, I've been trying to figure out which carrier I have but the more I read, the more confused I get. My carrier is solid with no holes anywhere in it except for one small one next to one ring gear bolt. It looks like this one on ebay(2ND PIC), but it has 4 cross holes and I read that opens have four and gov-loks have three. Can anyone clear this up for me? My 14bff came from a '75 K20.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

can you take pic? and if 3 pin holes around carrier at where the gear bolts its gov-bom if 4 then open or detroited carrrier.

sorry reread it and gave you the same info. but pics would be vary helpfull.

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I have not seen one personally yet but if it has 4 cross pin holes and you cannot see side gears would it not be a detroit in an open carrier?

Just my .02

Ira

4. gone huntin

Well, I tried, my buddy took pics with his camera phone, but he couldn't download them to his computer. It looks just like the one in the ebay pics, but has 4 pin holes. You can see spider gears through that small hole and what looks like a spring mechanism.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

where you can see in is it a slot? and if so sounds like detroit locker in open carrier.

6. gone huntin

The hole that I can see into is in one of the "ribs" around one of the ring gear bolts. It is approx. a 1/4"by 1/2" hole. It is the only opening in the carrier anywhere. If there was a detroit in there then I wouldn't see spider gears would I? I can turn one wheel without the other one turning.