Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bff carrier switch question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Apr 7, 2006.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Pretty sure my pickup's 14B has a Gov-lock in it (least it did 30 years ago, G80 RPO, unless somebody's switched it out already) so I'm thinking I should pre-emptively remove it. The truck is 2WD so I can't limp home on the front axle if the back blows up :haha:

If it is a Gov-time-bomb, I should I have a spare open carrier... so, I *believe* I should measure backlash, pull the carrier (counting turns on the adjusters), use the original ring gear on the "new" open carrier, and put it back in, turning the twisters on the side and then checking backlash.

I put a Detroit in my K5's 14B this way, but I've not driven her yet much to know if I missed anything.

Point being, the open carrier has a 4.10:1 ring on it, but I would imagine that if I change rings gears, even to the same ratio, I am supposed to check the pattern on it and I am loathe to go to that much work, especially since it seems to mean messing with the pinion crush sleeve and shims, which sounds like a beeyotch.

So, in short: does it make sense to just swap carriers, using the existing ring gear, and as long as I count adjuster turns and check backlash, will I hurt anything?

-- A

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

14ff dont have shims in the carriers. and only use shims in the pinion spacing. i have swaped carriers before and just dubble checked patern. also there is a pre load spec for the carrier bearings. 1 is for new bearings and other is for used bearings.

and the 14ff gov boms are much stronger than the others. if thay blow thay 80-90 % make it home . some do lock up. i love my gov bom in my 2x4 daily driver. you just need to know how to use it so it dont blow.

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

My gov-loc has been in my 14FF since 1974 and is still working just fine like it was designed too. As sweet stated, 14FF gov-loc's are much stronger than the 1/2ton ones.

4. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

IIRC, GM didn't start using the Govbomb till the late 70s, maybe early 80s. Buddy had a 77 3/4 ton that had the factory locker (what the tag said) but it was an Eaton style posi, not the Govlock. ?????

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

If all you are doing is switching the carier, you will likely not need to mess with the pinion at all.
    Just switch carriers, set the BL, then check the gear pattern. I am sure it will be fine.

6. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

You wont have to dig into the crush sleeve at all. The shims are on the pinion housing right behind the 6 bolts, all you would have to do is remove those 6 bolts and reshim iffin you had to.