Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14BFF Carrier Tear Apart / Spider Gear Request

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Resurrection_Joe, Sep 1, 2002.

1. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Is tearing apart a 14BFF as easy as this article makes it sound -

Spicky's Detroit Article

The reason I ask is that I'de love to weld up the rear of my truck before getting back into the habit of tearing around the country is a misdirected manner.

I know the bas stuff about a welded diff and I don't really care anymore, I learned to live with no doors, unbalanced bias plys, frame hacking and, loud loud noises, so all is well.

So is this an easy proscess? Two or three hour job with the spiders handy? Anything I can really screw up? Things to watch out for?

BTW - If anyone has spiders for a 14BFF that they have left over from a spool or detroit install, I'd love to buy them off you for a spare set to have welded before I crack the carrier open. If you have the spiders AND want are a great welder who has doen this before, It'd be GREAT if you could sell me a welded set. I mean I can build great tube doors but this in internal operation soooo...

Anyway, you guys are great, next best thing to sliced bread, if fact I suspect soem of you are sliced bread posing as lesser beings.... Or not.... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

2. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Yes it is. Piece of cake. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I have my spiders that you can have. I have to send you a few things anyway.

3. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i think im gonna do this sometime really soon. i have an extra set cause i have another 14bff with 3.73 that i am gonna junk and am gonna just keep some of the useful things. so if i dont like it i will just put the others back in

NITRO

4. Resurrection_Joe

Hey thanks! Yeah it looked pretty easy. I should be able to handle it with a little patience.

Whoa that's cool Shawn! I wondered when/if I'd get my sticker, though you didn't owe me anything. How's your snowman, still kicking? If you need my address, shoot me an email.

BTW - Shawn, glad to see you back, you're the man that set me on the track to serious wheeling. You turned me from casual interest to a real enthusiant, and I thank you. I have resold your tires and rims for bias becaus I was paranoid about the durability of the radials, but now if I get some spiders another piece of your truck will be inside of my truck. Errr, yeah.... Also, I remember the time you remarked that my truck would be great with a flatbed when I made one of my ever annoying posts back in the day,a nd that's what set it off, that's what kept me going, and you can follow the link at the bottom of my post to see pictures of the bed almost done! It needs a deck spare tire tools bolted up, middle support and rubber sheets to close the frame to bed gap.

Again, thanks for all the help, you're one of the greatest men I know. If you want a set of free square tube doors, just give me a call and I'll sure make you a set. There are also pictures of those in my CK5 picture gallery.

Ahem, yeah I'm not an emotional pathetic loser.... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I welded mine recently... I did everything but the actual welding of the gears. I managed it, so you can to. Keep in mind, before I did that dissassembly/reassembly I had never done ANY axle work at all myself... no gears, no lockers, no hubs, no wheel bearings, no serious brakes work... NUTTIN'... and I still figured it out. Go for it! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

J

6. Resurrection_Joe

Hey that really gives me confidence, thanks !!!

So how long did it take you? Have you tried it out yet? And did you like it? DID YOU LOVE IT!? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I had also never done anything other than change the diff fluid before I cracked my 14 open and stripped the guts out to weld the spiders. I found after reading Shawn's article that it was really straightforward.

It took me roughly 4 hours to complete the entire job and if I recall correctly it took roughly the same when I welded up Aarons (Reddog64) 14...

I'd sell you my welded spiders but Shaggy is getting this set.../forums/images/icons/smile.gif

As for you comments about Shawn motivating you...I can relate to that. The Potent Rodent and Shawn's fine tech writing were a real catalyst for me too. Steve Fox's truck and the ORD Jimmy have also kept me motivated to continue with my own truck. Without these guys and this site I probably would have sold my truck by now/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Rene

8. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The Potent Rodent and Shawn's fine tech writing were a real catalyst for me too. Steve Fox's truck and the ORD Jimmy have also kept me motivated to continue with my own truck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah and its kept me broke as hell too...

/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

prolly 4-5 hours of actual work... I had to take the carrier to the shop to have them zap the bolts off the carrier thing... they were in there TIGHT and I didnt wanna screw anything up. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

at any rate, trust me dude, with those directions you can do it np. As far as liking the mod, I haven't been able to use it off-road yet (very soon!) and on-road it doesnt take to much gettin used to. I'm sure when I try it off-road I'll be diggin it... detroit in front, welded ff14b out back = decent gription. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

J

10. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I sent ya a PM RJ. I promise to get those spiders off this week. I'm getting a little tired of my Detroit. Just going downtown and having that thing engage (which freaks people next to me) gets a little old. Thought about welding my spiders but I may just go with a Dana 70/ARB or wait for ARB to come out with a 14FF locker (maybe when hell freezes over). I'll have to check out your doors.

11. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I had my new carrier already for 4.56s gears so I welded the spiders. Took a total of like 20 minutes to break it open, weld, cool and put back together. Was very easy.