Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14BFF COMING SOON....MAYBE, IF I GET THE RIGHT ADVICE

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CAROLINAK5, Aug 4, 2001.

1. CAROLINAK5

CAROLINAK5 1/2 ton status

found a 14b out of a 78 3/4 ton van.(atleast thet is what i'm told) will that fit ok under my 78 blazer? how can i tell if it is limited slip or not? what should i look out for; both good and bad; when purchasing this or another 14 bolt? what u-joint do i need once i make this swap? driveshaft length? any help would be much appreciated!!!
    it feels good to post again...my compooter has been pootin' for the past two weeks!!!!!!!!

2. J.R.

J.R. Guest

i thought the rears in vans were longer then a truck or blazer rear and you would have to move the spring perches to make them fit.

BIG BLOCK MAN
    "MORE POWER"!!

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Well, I'm not full of advice here, but what I do know is pull the diff cover and look for rust, chipped/broken teeth, pit marks and stuff like that. You don't want to buy something that is going to cause you more problems then good things..... if you can pull the shafts too and look over them to make sure they don't have any funky things going on with them. Like If found a 10b today for $25. But the shafts were starting to butterfly.... you sure don't need that!! So make sure yours are good. I'm thinking that the spring perches might have to but cut and rewelded? But I am not sure, but for some reason that sticks out to me as something you would have to do! [​IMG]

C'mon captain break pedal... quit looking for the parade and drive!! [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>
    &lt;&gt;&lt; MARK 1:17 &gt;&lt;&gt;

4. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I am not 100% sure on this one, but I do believe that the frames on the vans were wider than the 1/2 ton trucks. And ChevyCaGal hit the nail on the head, make sure what you are getting. As long as all of the internals are good, it isn't that big of a deal to move the spring perches. Good luck!

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!

5. CAROLINAK5

CAROLINAK5 1/2 ton status

if that is the worst of my problems in this cross-over, i'll be smiling all the way to the trails.

6. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>The pads and mounts will need to be moved. Also, check for oil leaks at the bottom of the backing plates. If it smells like brake fluid you have bad wheel cylinders, if it smells like 90 wt gear oil (stinks) you have grooved spindles. After a few hundred thousand miles the seal lip wears a groove in the spindle and can be a pain to fix. You can change the seals until you can do it in your sleep but the only way to fix it is to sleeve the spindle. I have done 2 of these swaps (one with rear disks) so if you have any questions just ask.</font color=blue>