Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14BFF Conversion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 86K5TrailBlazer, May 31, 2001.

1. 86K5TrailBlazer

86K5TrailBlazer 1/2 ton status

So looking at my back issues I noticed that someone(now I forget who) makes a 14bff with 6 lugs. What do I need to do the same?

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

It was Off-Road Unlimited. I'm not sure exactly how they did it, but maybe you could call and see if you could just buy the parts from them. If you supply the 14 bolt and do the labor you could probably save a decent amount of $$$$. Anything would be better than their $3,000 price tag for a complete axle. OUCH

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

What they did was to convert it to a semi floater, with the pressed on bearing Mopar & Ford style retainers at the ends to get away from c clips, basically the same way Dynatrac does the Dana 60 Semi floating rears they make, now tha question here is, why in the hell would you convert a Full floater to semi floater? to me that make very little sense, i love my 14 bolt, i've heard you're gonna drag it, i say "so , its not like its gonna break if i do" If you want the big 14 bolt go with the 8 lugs, if you need 6 lugs you're probably better off with a 9.5" semi floating 14 bolt, those could be had with 6 lugs.

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Quote - "what do I need to do to do the same?". Don't do this kind of conversion unless your daddy is a doctor or lawyer!!! Or, if your brother or uncle is Bill Gates!!! [​IMG]

Personally, to make it easier for you and your wallet, and since you want to retain the 6 lug, find a 12 bolt and invest wisely with that rearend. There are plenty of aftermarket goodies to be had on modifications. Check around. [​IMG]

When In Doubt, Whip It Out!

5. 86K5TrailBlazer

86K5TrailBlazer 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies guys, much help ideed. I didn't realize they converted it to a semi float. I had a line on a super nice set of 36 on 16 for a 6 bolt. So ill just stick with getting 8 lug wheels since im sure that mucho easier and cheaper, damn wish I would of bought that conversion kit off you K30Guy, got anymore?

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Not right now, but do have a contact on some more. When I do get them, I will post it back up on the boards.

When In Doubt, Whip It Out!

7. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

86k5
    Hey, I just put a 14 under my 89, and besides being heavy as (*&%, it went on without a hitch, to include E-brake (which was a surprise). I have a set of old 8 lug factory rims you could have if you want to get them to you. Right now, I have more parts and stuff in garage, and my wife is goin' cut me off if I don't start gettin rid of, so there it is.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General