Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bff crush sleeve question *pics* - working right now

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by randy88k5, Sep 23, 2005.

1. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Well, the gear change has been going suprisingly well, but I just dont have the time to work on it except for the few times each weekend.

I disassembled the pinion and replaced everything. New bearings, races, crush sleeve, pinion, [and seal]. The seal is not in yet, as I will install that after crushing the sleeve.

I first cruched the sleeve in the 12-ton press using the old sleeve as a guide. Then I assembled everything, and proceeded to crush the repaining portion of the sleeve. I cant get the sleeve to crush much farther. It keeps the bearings far enoguh apart that there is about 1/16" of movement between the two.

I put a cheater bar on the press and continued to tighten. Nothing. I put on safety glasses and still nothing. Im afraid to go much farther as its only a 12-ton press. Should I keep going? Do you think I will break something? Any other precautions I should take? Should I find a bigger press? Questions and comments welcome.

Thanks in advance...

IMG_0673 (800 x 600).jpg

IMG_0679 (600 x 450).jpg

IMG_0683 (600 x 450).jpg

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

uhh... I'm no expert but I have never heard of using a press to crush a crush sleeve. You are suppossed to tighten the pinion nut to do that... Tighten, check rolling torque, when it reaches spec, done.

Like I said, I'm no expert, I've only rebuilt rears at school and they were just mockups that didn't get used. Also never worked with a 14 bolt other then to remove the parts.

3. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Ive searched and found that you can crush the sleeve in a press, but not all the way, and finish it off with the nut when you put the yoke back on. The nut is actling like a press, just dragging the bearings closer together, using the strength of the threads. I dont really like compromising the threads like that. Kinda like wheel studs too I think.

Seems pretty simple I guess. Just I thought I crushed it. I guess I didnt reach its yield strength...

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

gotcha, makes sense I guess. sorry I'm of no help here.

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

holding to the fact that#1 tighting the pinion nut is how it says to do it in the book, and #2 i have never ever heard of a tighting the pinion nut too tight causing the threads on the pinion gear to get messed up, or break or anything else bad happing to a 14ff(or any other axle for the matter)
    i would throw a long breaker bar on it and do it by the book.

6. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Crush it with the nut.

Keep in mind that it takes between 300-450Ft/Lbs of torque to get it done. It can be a real PITA. Be sure to check the pre-load often as it will go from too loose to too tight fast. Don't over do it.

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It is common to use a press to get the sleeve to start to crush, it sometimes takes as much as 20 tons to start them to crush but then they crush VERY fast so be careful. I have used a 600 ft. lb air impact and could not get one to crush so i put it into the press just as you did but only until it started to crush then installed it and continued with the pinion nut. If you happen to go too far buy a new crush sleeve and start over, DO NOT try to loosen it and think its all good.

8. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

OK, thanks for the replies guys. I tried to use the press a little more, and finally the sleeve started to give. I bet I used all of its rated capacity and a little more. I removed most of the slack in the bearings with the press, and Im finishing off the sleeve with the pinion nut. I need to get someone to hold the pinion for me, as the axle is out of the car. I should be done around late afternoon. Thanks again...

9. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

yea there fun to crush. When I did mine I had a 4' breaker bar on a TORQUE MULTIPLIER with 3 guys pushing on it all and it just barely started to crush :eek1: But thatby far is the hardest part of the whole install.

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

ok then i have a question if i may please,,,if they are so hard to crush, and get to the right torque spec,,,what do the shops use to get them to their correct setting?

11. 74 chev

74 chev 1/2 ton status

with a cheater bar or a huge impact just like the rest of us.

12. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

OK, I crushed it too much. I checked the torque, about 12 in*lbs. Then I tightened it about 20 degrees, less than an eigth of a turn. It got real tight, almost 45 in*lbs. For future reference, be REALLY careful once its crushed. I thought it would take at least a quarter turn.

Hopefully I can find a new sleeve, since all the dealerships are closed now. Looks like it will wait another weekend...

13. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

:D :D :D
    Learned that one the hard way huh??

14. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

14b crush sleeves are wierd...I did mine with my IR2135 impact, no cheater bar needed. The impact did it all by itself. On surpips, we had to build a crazy contraption to hold the pinion support down, then use a 4' cheater. The impact wouldn't budge it. In fact, that was the day I bought the 2135..lol I think the sleeves themselvs are all different..different materials, thickness, strength etc.