Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bff disc brake conversion Q's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Big'nBadK5, Apr 12, 2003.

1. Big'nBadK5

Big'nBadK5 Registered Member

14bff disc brake conversion Q\'s

today i stripped down my 14b to the spindles and am tinking about doing the conversion to disc while i have it apart, and i was just wondering what the round about prices are on the things i need and what i need. the basic list i have is ; the brackets from echobit, calipers and rotors. but i dont know what rotors exactaly and what calipers to use. thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Re: 14bff disc brake conversion Q\'s

A-tron /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

You could use the Chevy 3/4 ton calipers, rotors and brake lines or 76-78 Cadillac El Dorado calipers to keep your ebrake functional(most people still never hook it up though). I took this route with the El Dorado calipers, have yet to hook up the ebrake but it works very well. I wish I would have shaved my 14 bolt while it was off the truck.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> There was a poll awhile back, people paid around $150-$200 for all the parts to do a conversion with the regular calipers, and about $100 more to do it with Caddy calipers. </font>

5. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I did mine using the A-Tron brackets which ran about $80 w/ the hose kit w/ stainless steel lines for $65. With shipping, it was $153. Then I got the rotors from a local parts store for $150. I did the seals, bearings and races at the same time so that ran about $100. I am getting ready to order two loaded Cardone Cadillac Eldorado calipers for $180 from Kragen. I would consider A-Tron's calipers but they want $280 loaded and they don't come with the lever or spring. TSM offers the Caddy calipers loaded with the spring and lever for $300. If a junk yard search for a core w/ springs and lever turns into a nightmare, I may just break down and do the TSM ones. I also replaced the lug studs while I was at it and that ran $3 a piece for about $50+ w/ tax. Total I am into it about $450 so far, with $180 - 300 to go. After it is all installed, I will have to deal with the e-brake setup too. That may require some fabrication, or new parts purchased.