Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bff disc brake conversion.. whats right?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXsizeK5, Feb 23, 2003.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Ok, today, somone told me to do a disc brake conversion, I'd have to put in alot of different things. Like total cost over 800 dollars. Like I need a new proportioning valve, and some other stuff that costs expensive. Is this right? Or can you just swap in the rotors and whatnot? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

How much do all those parts cost anyway on average?

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

You'll need - brackets, maybe 100
    rotors - I think they are like 30 each
    calipers - $12 each, plus any core charges
    pads - $10 each side
    brake lines - maybe 50 for both
    unbent hard line, flaring tool, and bending tool (needed to connect the caliper brake line to the stock hard line) - $25

Do you need a proportioning valve? You'll have to see, after you have it all together and have tested it.
    -- Mike

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

how would i know if i needed a valve or not?

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

If your rear tires lock up b4 your fronts do with your normal loading in the truck, then you need a P-valve. You might have a look at the LBS (one source for them, very bottom of page) which is not a P-Valve, it is a delay valve. It slows down how fast the rear brakes come on but does not reduce the operating pressure. Longer wheel base vehicles can usually run one of these w/o a P-valve.
    As you add weight to the rear of the truck you can increase rear brake pressure. As you remove weight from the rear of the truck you need to decrease rear brake pressure.

5. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Most people dont need a P-valve.

You should be able to swap to disc for about $300 and that includes rotors, calipers, pads, lines and brackets. Buy the disc brackets off here. I believe Misfit and Derbinator and some others make them for about $75-$100. The ones Ive seen are top quality. Autozone is the cheapest Ive found and I havent had any problems with either disc swap Ive done using their parts.

1 other thing I did, that made a huge difference after the disc swap, was to go to a 1 ton Master Cylinder. It bolted right to my 1/2 ton booster and was only about $30 dollars at Autozone.

6. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

do you know if 1st aand second gens' use the same master cylander?just wondering when i do my swap if putting one of those in would help.i have a 72,and i seen you have a 86.just wondering if they are the same so i can swap too.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I used A-trons brackets for the disk's and all the brake stuff off of my D44 that just got swapped out. I didn't need an ajustable PV, but I swapped in a one ton master.

The braking is very balanced with the rear disks and one ton master (and hydro-boost)

Rene

8. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I did not need a prop valve on my 91.

9. khotmer

khotmer 1/2 ton status

SAVING THIS FOR FUTURE REFF...