Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14BFF & disc brake question.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BKinzey, Nov 24, 2006.

1. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Got a '79 14BFF 3/4 to throw under the Blazer. I want to convert to disc brakes. Found out I can't because the hub & drum are one piece. So can I just get the correct axles & hubs or do I need a '80 - '87 complete diff?

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

You can convert that to discs. The hub and drum are pressed together using the wheel studs. Press those out and they will seperate.

3. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Hey Thanks!

So Pressed means a sledge won't do:( Then how about the discs themselves? Is it the same for pressed on & slide on?

4. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Yep, the discs press back onto the hub with the studs. You can do it with a sledge and punch but you run a higher risk of damaging the threads that way. Honestly, I have a press and still removed and reinstalled the studs with a punch and hammer.

5. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

my 14b is from a '77 k20. just beat the hell out of the lug nut studs with a bfh and they will separate. after trying to save the first lugnut stud and messing up the threads the slightest bit i lost my temper and stopped trying to save them. i ended up with 16 brand new studs :)

bfh is a chevy owners bestfriend, it can fix anything and everything

6. ChickenRammit

ChickenRammit 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

put some old lugnuts on the studs and smash'em out with the nuts on. this way you are not making direct hammer to stud contact. they will be much more reusable this way.

7. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

Works even better if you thread the nut down to where the face of the nut, and the end of the stud make a flat surface, so you're hutting the stud and the nut. It keeps the stud from deforming so bad it ruins the threads, it keeps you from directly hitting the threads and mashing them, and it helps limit the load seen on the nut-stud thread interface, so you don't strip the threads that way.

8. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

I used a big brass punch, took em out and put em in and works great.

9. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

i used a punch and a 16oz hammer. if you hit them right they will pop out after a few hits. both back drums took about 15 minutes.