Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bff disc brake time

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stizkidz, Jan 15, 2005.

1. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

Ok, I just got my 3/4 ton axles and my first mod will be rear discs. I searched this forum through and through gathering as much info as possible. I even read the "official disc brake post" thread the entire way through. Anyway, I still have some questions before I get started:
    1 - What is this talk about changing the wheel studs? Is this absolutely necessary?
    2 - Where is the best place to buy the brackets/rotors? I want to buy the easiest to install brackets and the pre-machined rotors. Plug and play for me.
    3 - I plan on using Eldo calipers so I can use an ebrake, but what is this talk about "levers"? Does anyone have an ebrake write up?
    4 - What are banjo bolts and where can I get some?
    I am not worried about all the technical talk about mc's and pv's. I will just use my stock system as I live in an area with flat terrain and rarely do I have to worry about slippery roads.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

1 - Some people say they had to cause they were to short and others say they didn't have to cause the weren't to short. When I did my rear discs, I reused my wheel studs. Also look at the condition of the studs, if they are in poor condition, just replace, they are only a few dollars each.

2 - On the brake brackets, pm cybrfire, he makes a killer set and at a very good price. As for the rotors are concerned, just go to the local auto parts house and ask for stock front rotors for the yr of your rig...very plug and play.

3 - If your going the route of caddy calipers, you'll have to find a set from a 76-78 caddy eldorado, and when you get the rear calipers, make sure you get the spring and lever that is on the calipers as IIRC no one has been able to find them new from anywhere. And as for hooking up the ebrake to your factory cables, its going to be a custom fit thing as no one offers a good kit IMO.

4 - Banjo bolts are the actual bolt that holds the brake hose to the caliper. You can pick those up at the local auto parts house also.

Hope that helps

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I second the cybrfire brackets. I have them and they work great. I reused my studs also.

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I got all the stuff to do mine.... I just didnt do it yet as I wanted to pass inspection first.. now that I passed. and they didnt look at my ebrake so go figure... anyhow.... Autozone sells caddy calipers loaded for $150 each... caliper and pads... I dont know if it is complete..... I do know I got mine from carparts.com for $46 to my door :grin: