Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14BFF gear install question.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

This is probably a stupid question, but do I need to get a gear install kit for my 14bolt if I am just changing the ratios? I know a couple people here just made sure that there axles were in good shape, and not excesively worn and slapped them into your trucks. Should I let it ride on the carrier bearings and such that are already in it, or should I just replace them while I am in there. Is it worth trying to save the cash? I am going to replace all the bearings, races, and seals on the hubs. Just want some input. Thanks

Harley

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you are going to replace all the bearings and races on the hubs it would be foolish to not install new carrier and pinion bearings and races as well. It is not much money you would be saving but it would certainly give you piece of mind.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Thats what I figured I'd hear. That is the smart move, and the one I will most likely make. Might as well do it while I am in there instead of 20,000 miles later. Thanks

Harley