Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14BFF Gear swap...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Aug 24, 2001.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Feb 23, 2001
    I am thinking about trying this on a spare diff first. Then, I would transplant the gears from an open carrier (allowing the local machine shop to actually move the gears over) onto my Detroit locker. I have done this before with a 10-bolt axle, and had great results.

My machine shop installed the gears on a new carrier, installed the shims, bearings, etc etc. I installed the pinion and then the carrier assembly into the axle.

Then the next thing prompting me to attempt this, is a friend who is a mechanic, told me that if you can change a 10-bolt you can change a 14BFF for sure. He said that 14BFF axles are much easier to work with, and are more simplified inside compared to the 10-bolt.

Finally, why the hell not?!!! I have built everything else in the d@mn truck, why stop now! Given, it is a kinda important piece of the drivetrain, but so is the engine, trans, electrical, right???!

Now guys and gals, all I'm asking for here is a pep rally. So help me convince myself to tackle this on my own.

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s
    <a target="_blank" href=></a> [​IMG]