Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bff gov loc????? is it a bombshell

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by buhlandy, Apr 28, 2007.

1. buhlandy

buhlandy Registered Member

hey guys ...i know for a fact that the 10b gov locs are freakin bombshells.... lol but upgraded to a 14ff rear and was wanting to see if the gov locs from a 14ff are worth a crap???? are they bombshells liek the 10b or will they hold up ... i have a stock tbi 350 and a 241 tcase and 38x12.5 tsl ... if that helps any ... it has 3.73 gears for now ... but i want to upgrade... would a gov loc work for my app and hold up ???? and are the gov locs like a fact. locker or more of an lsd????? any help you guys have will greatly help me .... i always get great help here in the garage..

2. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The 14ff are better than the 10/12bolts, but not sure I would want one for a wheeler. I had one in my 97, but that was a driver not a wheeler. They lock when you don't want them to, won't lock when you need it to lock, etc. They are unpredictable IMO. But with a 350 and skinny tires, I would think that it would hold up. When they do decide to lock, the tires are locked, so in a sense it acts like a locker...

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i had and still have it. started life in a 1ton rear with 4.10 gears. built to the hill 400 sbc. th350 with 205 tcase. 38x12.5x16.5 tsl on it. i use to mud and do lots of wheel spin. held up good for what it is and if you know how to use them. then i sold/parted out the truck. i pulled the gov lock and its now in my dd crew cab. still never got stuck with the 2wd crewcab in 2 feet of feild blown snow and new a/s tires.

the trick is know how to use it and fell the unit lock in then hammer down .

best tool i have had for not eating tires on street but give me traction when i need it.

i have a brand new unit going in my next build . 88 crew cab 4x4 with 5.13 swaped in and around 10" lift and 40" tires.

4. buhlandy

buhlandy Registered Member

so wat you are saying sweetk30 is as long as im easy and wait on it to lock and then give it hell it will be fine ... but how can i actually tell when it locks ... is it hard to tell ???

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I have one in mine, and i believe it is dead, but it didn't explode like the 10 bolts do,,,personally, i believe the 14b burns out the clutches before anything else, because as with mine, it mostly slips.

It does engage some, but not like it probably should

*This is an opinion and aself thought idea, no absolute fact (for those that get anal about some information passed on)

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

14bFF bombs aren't catastrophic like a 10b. Basically stop working (i.e. open diff) or the guts get mashed internally and it free-wheels.

7. mendo

mendo Registered Member

Myne blew up about a month ago and I replaced it witha detroit. Luckily none of the metal fragments damaged my pinion or gears. Id say dont wait till it explodes and leaves you stranded and causes possible damage. It did work ok for a while, but it would never lock when I needed it to. When it did lock it was 100 percent locked though. To get myne to lock I would put it in 2wd hold the brakes and give it gas till one tires slowly spun then the other would lock (somtimes). Watch out if you have a heavy foot they will die.
    [​IMG]

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

When i had my suburban, I swapped in 1974 3/4ton axles and it still had the stock gov-loc and it still worked perfectly.

9. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

I've flogged on mine for a good while now. It hasn't failed, but it's not fun to have to induce spinning to get em to lock up.