Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bff gurus help please (UPDATE) I CRUSHED IT

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, Jul 6, 2003.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ok let me ask this first about the crush sleeve... tightening the pinion nut pushes the outer bearing on to the pinion shaft against the crush sleeve....right?? I am doing this right now and there is about an 1/8th inch of slop still in the pinion. I figure about 2 more turns of the nut till the bearings both hit the races.
    OK I am doing this at home and I need a preferred method to do this. The axle and pinion are bolted in to the truck. I got a big piece of pipe and all that. Tonight I tried putting the breaker on and resting it on the spring then backing up...I got about a turn on the nut then this happened...... continued below..
    [​IMG]
    Is this a safe way to get a little slop out before I start doing it by hand. I would do it all by hand but I only get about a 16th of a turn on the nut with the truck sitting on the ground. Let me know if I should continue doing this or not /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Going to get a new breaker tomorrow /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Sorry so long any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: 14bff gurus help please

Well put it this way, I broke 2 3/4" drive breaker bars and one 7" vice and one work bench crushing my crush sleeve /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. I used to have pics but they disapeared. I had the pinion housing clamped in vice which was bolted to the work bench. I put the breaker bar on the nut and a 6 foot 1.5" .120" wall DOM tube over that. Started yanking and once the slack was out and the sleeve was starting to crush I was hanging with my 179 pounds on the end of that 6 foot pipe and did one hard bounce and kaboom! the butcherblock workbench top split down the middle then the vice broke into several pieces and the pinion went flying to the floor along with me... Also broke the breaker bar and bent the handle. It was quite the site /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyway, from then on I just bolted the pinion housing into the diff housing and built an angle iron brace that slipped over the yoke and extended out and braced it against the floor of the garage. After that it was pretty easy /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. MTBLAZER89

Yeah I already broke a vise thats why I waited till everything was in the truck. I am still wondering if driving to crush it is a good idea or should I get something to hold the yoke and do it by hand??

4. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm confused, you say you were doing it with a big breaker bar and pipe, but want to know if you should be doing it by hand... That is by hand man! I needed a good 6 feet of leverage on that thing to get it to crush... Sounds like what your doing is right, just keep going and check the preload constantly. Once the bearings were seated and they started touching the sleeve on both sides I was checking preload about every 1/8 of a turn...

5. MTBLAZER89

Yeah I am using a bar on the end of the breaker resting it on the leaf spring then backing up....pinion turns nut is held in place ..tightening up.

I am in chat if anybody wants to discuss this there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

TTT for MT!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. MTBLAZER89

anybody that can help please meet me in chat about 6:30-6:45 please I am not making much progress here /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. crazykev4x4

crazykev4x4 1/2 ton status

i always put the crush sleeve in the press first just till it starts to crush and then it goes easy from there they r a sob to crush . i have stripped the threads off of a new pinion trying to crush one

Kevin /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Yep, crush it using a press. Thats how I do all of them, its a little easier then by hand and all, lot less broken tools too!

10. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

I maxed out a 600 ft pound torkwrench on mine and still didn't crush
    I founsd out that the pinnion nut was grinding against the yoke insted of pushing it down
    the press is the way to go

11. MTBLAZER89

It's all done wasn't as hard as I thought..set to 30 inlbs then put the new seal in and locktite on the nut /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif tomorrow comes the rest of the setup hopefully. Thanks everybody. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I use my 1/2 Impact wrench to crush the crush sleaves. Yes it does take a few minutes but its a hell of a lot easier than using a breaker bar.