Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14BFF Hub Leaking

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigBadCad, Sep 24, 2003.

1. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

Me drivers side hub on my 14BFF is leaking gear oil from the inner seal. The seal is fairly new since I replaced it during the rear disc conversion. I was wondering if I missed anything during the assembely process or is the spindle shot? What are my "cheapest" options if the spindle is scored or grooved?
    thanks in advance,
    aj
    BTW-I can't be certain but I believe the hub was leaking oil before I tore it apart for the disc swap.

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

When you rebuilt it, did you put in new bearing race's in the hub's? If so, doe's the outer race butt up against the internal snap ring?

If it is'nt butted up, there will be play in the bearing's, and allow, oil to leak past the seal/spindle area. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

Mine leaked because I overfilled my diff by half a gallon.

4. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

did you put some gear lube on the seal before you installed it on the spindle? if you didnt, it would cause the seal to wear fast.

or did the seal happen to get installed backwards?

5. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

Hey I have the same problem! I may have over filled but seems to be a steady leek, I also just replaced the bearings and races, hmm what did I do wrong? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Me too! Twice!

When i first put the 14FF under my sub, did all new drum brakes/hardware and double checking everything. A number of months later, when i was starting the conversion to disc, pulled apart the pass side, and the brakes were all wet! Seal was leaking, but hadn't yet become viewable! (those $50 shoes were soaking it all in!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif ).
    Now, after about a year with disc on there, i just noticed it's starting to get wet near the inner seal!!!
    I wonder if there was a bad batch or two of seals out there, or ??? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    Understand the CW seals are supposedly better than most. Also (worst case?) there's a sleeve (super-thin thing) that can be installed over the existing axle stub to give a new surface for the seal/bearing...??
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm??

7. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Re: Me too! Twice!

Speedy Sleeve is what you're thinking of...

8. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

Re: Me too! Twice!

hmm..we had that problem with chevy4wds, on the 3rd or 4th seal it finally stopped leaking..