Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bff hub ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big dan, Mar 14, 2006.

1. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well guys I finally got my 14bff and I broke it one the first day I had it in.
    Stupid me forgot to check the spindle nuts before I drove on it and they losened up causing the hub to move around and destroyed my wheel bearings.
    I checked the hub and spindle and they looked alright and the new bearings fit in ok and everything fit back together. My problem is that it vibrates now.
    I dont think that I got the hub all the way on or tightened up the spindle nuts the right way. Ive searched and found out how to tighten the spindle nuts but my question is how likely is it that I tore up the hub? Its a big hub and I pulled over when I knew something was wrong but the bearings had already been chewed up. My dad says that most of the time this will ruin the hub. If my hub is ruined can I take out the bearings and races and put them in a new hub or do I have to buy new bearings again?

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

well it depends

did the bearings survive with no damage ?

good luck

3. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

the old bearings were completely destroyed but the new bearings are still perfect. I can take them out without any damage but i dont wanna have to.
    could not tightening the spindle nuts all the way cause the vibration?