Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bFF IDing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Big Red, Jun 17, 2003.

1. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

i may have the opportunity to get a hand on a 14bff. (seeing as my idot friend trashed the one i bought off of him the day b4 we were gonne yank it off his truck) I would like to know if there are any actual casting numbers and what not. (i know, i know, i should know this by now...but i foret it all the time) and also if it came out of a 3/4T Burb w/ a towing package and 454, if it will bolt right up. (i know it should, i just dun wanna hafto spend too much time cutting a welding stuff) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif thanxs in advance.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Casting numbers, yes they are on the axle tube, but i have no idea how to read those.

Yes all 3/4ton 14FF will bolt right up, the 2wd ones will only need the shock mounts relocated for clearance.

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

You don't have to change the shock mounts... they're in the right spot, they just hang lower (and hinder your ground clearance).

Just a warning on 14FF axle ratios with the 454... 3.73 and 4.10 are common in 3/4-tons, but 454's got 3.21 or 3.42 (depending on year) as standard equipment - other ratios optional. Nice for economy, but that's about it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. wfo163

wfo163 1/2 ton status

thats not entirlely true. Mine came with a factory 454 and 4.10's in the 14bff.

5. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

welp, thanks for all the help so far, cus i just scored one for free! sweet!!! i actually don't give a rats arse about the ratio. its got an eaton in it! even better! funny, things like this never happen to me. i think my only problem will be its been in this guys backj yard for over a year. so i'll probably hafto rebuild it. o well. for free, i dun care. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

If it's got the gov-loc then you'll have to get a new carrier if you want to put in a detriot or some other locker, but since it was free, who cares!? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

its got the eaton posi in it. no gov-lok. i hate those things! besides, i really dun want a locker. to harse for a daily driver. i pick this thing up on monday or tuesday and look at the prettyness. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I don't believe there is a basic clutch-posi for the 14FF. If it looks like this, its a gov-lock:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the sales pitch from Eaton:
    http://www.traction.eaton.com/prod2.htm
    (check out the demo video clip halfway down the page /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif)

9. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    thats not entirlely true. Mine came with a factory 454 and 4.10's in the 14bff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure its true - 4.10 was optioned for your truck /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

i haven't seen it yet, as i said i pick it up on modnay or tuesday, so i'll dive in as soon as possible. maybe it is a locker that sumone put in, i dunno. all i know is its not a gov-lok, or so im told. oh man, i hope its not a gov-lok. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif imma be mad if it is! o well, its still a free 14BFF /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif