Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bff install progress

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kontradictions, Apr 29, 2007.

1. kontradictions

kontradictions 1/2 ton status

well i finally got the 14bff under the truck and got that dinky 10bolt out of there! After about 3-4 weeks of rebuilding the axle, its nice to actually see it under the truck.

Had a couple issues i wanted to ask you guys about before it get it's maiden voyage with the new axle.

1. I can't find a banjo bolt to save my life to hook up to the 3/4 ton calipers and 79' chevette lines i got. I know i need a 7/16" banjo bolt, but none of the auto parts stores around here have crap that works. I guess im going to have to goto the dealer tomorrow and get one there unless anyone has any suggestions.

2. I got the conversion u-joint from napa, part #447, but it doesnt work. The larger end of the u-joint that goes into the axle yoke are just to big and wont seat all the way down. I dont know if i need to get the other conversion u-joint or not...

3. How much fluid are you guys adding to the axle? I have a DIY4X razor back diff cover as well. I just dumped a gallon of fluid in and it hasnt overfilled out the fill hole on the passenger side.

2. slyguy_22

slyguy_22 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i always fill mine till it starts to come out the fill hole. as for the rest im not sure. good luck though

3. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

2. ujoint should work.. make sure its the right one.. i remember when i went i gave them the 447 part number and it didnt show up.. then the guy called me back later and found the ujoint but it was under a new number..

3. fill it til it starts to leak out.

4. kontradictions

you remember how much that was? I know a gallon is 4 quarts, I was told about 5 would do it, but that was with a stock diff cover im assuming. Maybe another couple quarts and it should be fine...

5. kontradictions

the box reads the right part number and the ends that slip into the drive shaft end fit, but when i went to slide in into the axle yoke, it was just to large.

6. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

Did you grease it first? If you over filled it then it could have pushed the caps out a bit
    how much does it not fit by? a hair or 0.25" or what? Its possible you have a different yoke or they gave you the wrong joint in the right box

As far as the amount of lube: 4 to 5 quarts is good, just make sure you tilt it to both sides so oil flows down to your wheel bearings before you drive it anywhere.

For the banjo bolt: Anywhere should be able to get you a 7/16" banjo bolt... its standard for the dorman supplys that most places have (Kragen/Autozone/Napa). I think you need to go to a different autoparts store or something, a half decent parts counter guy should be able to get you what you need, or ask to look through there dorman drawers

7. kontradictions

I didnt grease it at all, do the 447 come with a zerk fitting cause this one did. It's off by alot as well, id say close to a .25" of gap between the yoke and cap. As far as i know, the yoke is a standard 14bff yoke. I havent seen many others, but i assumed it was the standard.

yeah i have been to every parts store around the southern california area, Kragen, Autozone, Pep Boys, Napa...it seems and they all have a 10.5mm banjo bolt and its way to small. I know the 7/16" banjo works, but nobody has one. Like i said, i guess ill just have to goto the dealer and pick a pair up. Its the last thing i need and this bad boy is done, well besides the u-joint...im going to have to go back down to napa and figure this out..

8. kontradictions

well after doing some more searching around, i think i might have a small cap 3/4 ton yoke. Which according to this chart is a totally different part which would make sense. Instead of a 1350 yoke i believe i have the 1330, which is why the 447 joint i have it to large. Now i just need to fine one...

[​IMG]

9. mechted

I think you should measure your yoke to figure this out. Heres some info:
    from: http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53116

The Napa PN 447 is a S44-1350 combo joint used in going from a 10 bolt to a 14 bolt.
    The Napa PN 348 is a 1310-1350 combo joint used when going from 12 bolt to 14 bolt.

Neapco Part Numbers (Kragen)
    1310 (12 bolt) to S44 (10 bolt) 3-3130
    Saginaw S44 to 1350 (3/4/1 ton) 2-1153
    1310 to 1350 3-3140

Some size stuff:
    1310 - 3.250 x ???
    1330 - 3.625 x 1.125 OR 1.063
    1350 - 3.625 x 1.188
    1410 - 4.250 x 1.188

You know the shaft is a S44 joint, you just need to figure out what the axle is.

10. kontradictions

i did measure the yoke and the 1330 sizing you specified matches it. Spicer makes a u-joint conversion to fit the 1310-1330, so im going to find one tomorrow and see if it works.

11. mechted

well thats odd... but if the shoe fits

12. kontradictions

does anyone know what applications would have come with a 1330 yoke on a 14bff?

13. kontradictions

well it turns out im a dumbass! I ended up going down to a local driveline shop and they helped out alot. Turns out the Napa 447 conversion u-joint was exactly what i needed. The owner of the shop just had to demonstrate to me how the u-joint some what snaps into place inside the axle yoke. I ended up getting a new strap kit from him and got it all put back together!

Also on the way home from that I stopped by another autozone and walked to the back with the sales guys and asked to see all the banjo bolts they have and they had tons of the 7/16 x 20 banjo bolts with copper washers i needed. I dont know why it was so hard for the other morons in there to figure out what they have and what they dont have.

But the brakes are all blead and stopping great and the driveshaft is solid and not going anywhere. Going to be taking it out on the road today, cant wait to see how she rides.

14. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

so what are you going to do about those 6lug h1 rims youve got now?