Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bff leaking seals.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudrunner78, Jun 12, 2002.

1. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

ok I have a 14bff of course, and I know very little about axles, haynes leaves me confused. My problem is I put the axle under my truck about 3 months ago, I have yet to drive the truck, I filled it with gear oil, and once a week I spin the drums by hand to keep stuff lubed up. Well I was gone for about a month(ok I just forgot to spin the drum) and I went ahead and turned the drums last night, well this morning there was a leak coming from one of the drums. I know theres a axle seal in there(maybe two if I am correct) but after searching I couldn't find a write up on replacing them. I assume its pretty straight forward but does anyone have any pointers. I assume you remove the shaft, then the drum, and replace the seals in the drum 2 of them, is there a seal in the housing? Thanks in advance Jesse

2. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

you just pull the axle then you have a nut with a lock bent over it bend it back so you can remove it then remove the lock then you have another nut remove it then the drum and hub will slip off there is only 1 seal on each side its in the hub while you have it off check spindle for wear where the seal rides these 14 bolts are bad about having this area wear if has a pretty good grove then go buy a speedie sleeve it slips over the worn area and comes with a new seal

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Actually, there are (at least) two styles of spindle nuts. I have a key in mine rather than the bent tang. Anyway, you basically just remove the hub and the seal is in the back side where the hub slides over the spindle. Fair warning, it's a pill to get out without a seal puller.