Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bff oil leak question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by milspecjimmy, Aug 24, 2003.

1. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

i have a 14bff on my jimmy. it has an atron disc brake conversion on it, and i run 32" tires. ever since i have had it the thing has had leaky rear axle seals. the guy i bought it from replaced them both, and i replaced them both. the passenger side leaked instantly, and the drivers side took a while but is leaking again. i used a speedi sleve on hte passenger side but it still leaks. any ideas?

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

what kind of seals did you use?

3. milspecjimmy

CR's chicago rawhide.

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

we've used WORLD seals without incident..and timkens i believe...both good stuff..if you find out it's the seal thats the problem, check those out..autozone..

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Did you grease up the seal real good before putting it in? If you don't grease them they will burn up instantly and start leaking again. </font>

6. milspecjimmy

yeah i sure did. i cant figure this one out. i was thinking maybe it was from the extra heat from the discs but it doenst get hot enough to melt the rubber

7. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

Is your vent clear? Maybe the pressure is making it leak cause it can't vent. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. milspecjimmy

actually i havent checked that yet, and that may be it seeing as it doesnt leak when sitting. only when driving

9. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

I've been battling rear axle seal leaks on my 14BFF for a while now. (Since 2001 to be exact! Old Seal Post)

First I did the speedi sleeve install. This slowed it down a bit, but still had leaks. I then used Napa's $8 seal /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif and greased then up per advice from the guys here on CK5. The leak on my passenger's side stopped, but the drivers side kept leaking.

Then, I swapped hubs from side-to-side and replaced the seals again. The leak moved from the driver's side to the passenger's side. This leads me to believe my hub is out of round, so I'll be replacing the hub soon to test my theory.

Good luck with yours, I know how frustrating it can be!!

Thomas.