Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bff pics....dual shock mounts?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jersey, Nov 7, 2001.

1. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

Found a '83 K5 in the boneyard today with a 14bff and a 10b in it but i've never seen rear shock mounts on a 14bff like this. I'm thinking of buying the whole truck and stripping it of its goodies (frame twisted) but i'm not sure if the 14ff is going to work with my 91 with the dual shock mounts on the rear. i've never seen this before on a K5. Then again, i'm noticing a lot more each day. Also, it looks like there's an extra pad on top of the 10b for lift? what's up with that?? The shocks are trailmaster and the rear blocks are 4" so i'm figuring the front springs are 4" trailmaster, but with an extra block? hmmm. Wonder if this lift will even fit in my '91? Take a look at this link of the pics i took today of them. ....

[/b]PICS[/b]

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

The extra pad is hard to see but it might be something similar to a 1" add-a-leaf like ORD sells. The 14ff looks like a 3/4 ton and the dual shocks might have been put on by the former owner. I am not sure but I do remember seeing some aftermarket dual shock set ups like that. The lift will work on your 91 K5 except you will have to get new front spring bushings for 89 and up. I got my bushings from ORD and my lift was out of a 78 K5.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

3. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

just figured it was strange to see an extra pad on the front when to balance a K5 out, it's relly needed in the rear. I figured it might be some sort of "dual shock" kit for the back but whien i got a look at it, it looked like one piece, welded to the axle housing? I'll have to check it out again. I have to pull the covers off anyway to see what gears are in it, hey, maybe a locker is hiding..never know. would be sweet. The guy is going to sell me the while thang for $400 if i want it. Body parts and motor missing but it's got the trans and transfer case still there. We'll see. Thanx for the knowledge.

- Jersey

'91K5 - 350, 700R4, NP241, FlowMasters, 33's
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pages.zdnet.com/len1313/myk5>[/b]PICS[/b]</a>

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep, that's an aftermarket dual shock kit. Many lift kit manufacturers make them.

And the rear shows the 4" lift block too.

Front shows positive arch springs. I noticed the block under the springs, too.

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It looks like 4" rear blocks (which was already stated), but the front looks like it has a lift block angled to correct pinion angle (from everybody I have heard from, front lift blocks are very vulnerable to twisting and are illegal in some states, so you may want to toss them), and I have seen the rear dual shock setup before. It's weld on aftermarket (I believe). I'll take a pic of my rearend [​IMG], because when i put the locker in, (since GM put the right rear shock facing forward and the left rear facing back to fight axle twist laterally) I cut off the passengers side shock mount and welded it to the rear and drilled a new hole for the mounting bolt and now both shocks point to the back and it "looks factory". I assume the aftermarket kit does something similar by keeping the stock shocks and adding two more. I also believe it can only be done with aftermarket shocks that do not have metal dust sheilds. On the C/K5's, 10's, and 20's (not sure of the C/K30's) there is an indentation in the frame where the shock mounts for the metal dust boot on the stock shocks, when you relocate the shock(s) or add more on, there is no dimple and I don't believe shocks with the metal protectors will fit, but as you saw in the picture aftermarket shocks with soft boots will.

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot> click here </a>

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

That's right, there is no identation on the K30's for the rear shcok mounts.

The K30 shock mounts on the frame part are on the inboard side of the frame. And they are staggered, like the other trucks, but with the shocks on the opposite sides of the other trucks.

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>