Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bff Pinion Nut

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

What is the size of the pinion nut on a 14bff? I think it is 1 1/2" but want to be sure before I run out and buy a socket.

Also my pinion nut is backing off. How much torque should the nut get? I am going to take it off and locktight the nut but how much torque should I apply to it when it is reinstalled?

Harley

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i think it is a 1 1/2", but it has been a while since i built one, & i don't have one here anymore since i swapped to a 70hd.

it needs to be very tight. buddy told me it takes 200-300 ft/lbs to mush the crush sleve, but i don't know if that is right. if u feel it crush u have gone to far. i usually tighten them in very small increments, & check the resistance on the bearings often while u do it.

good luck

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The socket is 1 1/2" but you will need to install a new crush sleeve and re-set pinion preload. This is done with an inch pound needle type torque wrench. It does take about 10 tons before the crush sleeve starts to crush so it is easier if you first have someone with a press press on it just until it starts to give then install it and continue with the rest of the process.