Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bff pinion seal leakage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Nov 5, 2006.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Haven't torn into it yet, but the tow rig's 14BFF is spraying gear oil over the underside of the truck :(

Is this an easy seal to replace, like drop the shaft, unbolt and pull the yoke, and swap seals ... or is this a heinous thing where I gotta do something with a crush sleeve and such? While I've got a press, I've not done a gear swap on the 14 yet, so I've not had to deal with the whole crushing thing, whatever it is.

-- A

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yes there is a crush sleeve there. I'd think you'd run the risk of crushing the current sleeve further during the yoke re-install. I sent my pinion assembly to NWF and let Kyle swap in new bearings, seals and crush sleeve for me. he only charged me an hours labor plus parts. I just don't have the right tools here to do the job confidently.

Rene

3. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Worn bearings require more preload than new bearings. I would mark the pinion nut, mark the pinion, change the seal, then tighten the nut where the marks line up, then go a little bit extra probably less than 1/6 of a turn past the marks.

I also like to put some sealant on the splines to prevent a leak there.

4. dremu

So I can remove the four or six bolts holding the whole thing in, do whatever with it, and put it back in, without harming the alignment of the crush whatchamadingle?

In other words, the preload or whatever the sleeve sets is not set by those bolts, so I need not worry about them so much?

Maybe the pinion assy is leaking from there... if I can remove it, re-gasket or goop it, and replace it without fiddling with the sleeve ... that would be a simple fix :)

-- A

5. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

The preload on the bearings is set by the torque on the nut that holds the yoke on. Yes, you can remove the pinion without messing with the preload.

Is it the seal leaking (on the yoke) or where the pinion bolts in?

6. dremu

Well, this is a good question =)) ... I've not looked in detail, as the truck has larger issues (i.e. the No-Spin motor =))

I'll take a look, and see what the scoop is.

Thanks all!

-- A

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Just make sure that steel shim/gasket goes back in...

Rene