Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14BFF Posi or Locker

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ramses, Nov 13, 2005.

1. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

Im looking for either a Posi or selectable locker for my 14 bolt. I havent really seen much available yet. Its a daily driver so I dont want a full locker. A posi would be enough. Are there any selectable lockers other than the ARB? What kinds of posi's are available for 14 bolts? And can someone explain to me how a Gov Loc works? Ive always heard of them being in the military 14 bolts but ive never really dealt with one.

2. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Have you checked out the Detroit locker? They arent that exspensive and very easy to put in.

3. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

I dont want a Detroit because I dont want it to be locked all the time, just when I need it.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The military trucks actually have Detroit lockers in them not gov-locks. I personally have a Detroit locker in my 14bff and I DD my truck they are not that bad at all. As long as you don't step on the gas hard around corners they don't lockup. They will only lockup when you are driving in straight lines as long as you aren't jambing the gas pedal. I find the Detroit to be very streetable. The only place it would concern me is on ice. I have been told by many people that run them on ice that you just need to learn them and it is not bad at all on ice either.

If you are dead set against a full locker then I would recommend the govlock unless you really need the rear to lockup hard for offroading. Paying for a posi for a 14bff is kind of a waste. The govlock has a bad rep in the 1/2 ton axles (which it deserves) but the govlock in the 14bff isn't that bad. They do work well for most situations. For a truck that is going to see offroading where you need it to lockup fully though I wouldn't recommend it. It will lockup fully but not unless there is a pretty significant difference in wheelspeed.

Harley

5. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

Yes I would think about full lockers for my truck if I didnt have to spend a few months of the year on ice. I want a posi mostly for pulling trees and other stuff and occasional 4 wheeling. Are there any posi's available for a 14B other than a Gov Loc? What is involved in installing a Gov Loc and how does it work?

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

if you know how to lock in the gov loc then thay are great. i have one in my dd love it to death. and also had one in my old truck with 38 tires. both 14ff units.

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Eaton makes an Eaton Posi (not the gov loc) for the 14b. I would reccomend that.

8. lrazer

lrazer 1/2 ton status

yea the new detroits (no spin) are quite smooth opperating u don't really even notice them on the street

9. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

So are the Eaton and Gov Loc the only choices for a posi? How are they different? And where can I get them?

10. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

11. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

The eaton posi has carbon clutches and springs. Its set up like most posi's are with preload on the clutches and both wheels "connected" and when you go around a corner it slips.

A gov lock has clutches, a speed sensor and cam, it is open to start, and when it senses wheel slippage it locks both wheels together.

12. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

What about a Lock-Rite? Are they full lockers or posi's?

13. lrazer

lrazer 1/2 ton status

the lock-right is an insterable locker it replaces the spider and side gears in the carrier, its a full locker

14. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

Ok so its down to a Gov Loc or Eaton I guess. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of each or which one would be better? I want one that will last a long time. What is involved in the installation of each? And where should I buy it from?

15. lrazer

lrazer 1/2 ton status

how do you lock a gov loc in?

16. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

17. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Eaton/Posi's are no good if you tend to get one of the wheels off the ground. Since the axles aren't physically connected, the weight on the ground wheel will overcome the preload and it will still slip.

All GM cars with posi/limited slip utilize this setup. I don't know as that is any better on ice than a locker, without heavy load on the wheels, they won't "slip" either.

Gov-lock works with the components mentioned, to only lockup in certain conditions. http://dyeager535.topcities.com/posipictures.html fourth and fifth pictures from the left describe how they work. That's a 10 bolt carrier pictured pg 4, 14FF on pg5.

18. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

Well I think I like the Gov Loc better, but where can I find one? And how hard is it to install one?

19. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Obviously there are going to be exceptions, but the vast majority of 14FF's out there, stock, are open or gov-locks.

Military 14FF's are not gov-locks.

Look for "G80" on the RPO tag (engine compartment or inside glove box) to find a gov-lock in a truck.

20. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

haha, i think ive read him asking the same question about 200 times.. "Where can I get a Gov-Loc".... does anybody know, i dont, and im kinda curious, so i thought id add it in here...