Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14BFF question (pics)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, Apr 8, 2003.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ok I noticed these six bolts were missing today. What do they do? Can you pull the pinion out this way or something. Any help would be great. Does anybody have a 14bff breakdown manual or know where I can get one? Thanks
    -Brian
    [​IMG]

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, those hold the pinion gear in place. I'd sure wonder why they're missing though... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Any decent GM truck manual should cover the 14-bolt FF. It's been around for 30 years. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. MTBLAZER89

So I can pull out the pinion with those removed?

4. HarryH3

Yep. It should slide right out the front of the housing. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif It's been many years since I had mine apart, so I can't recall if the ring gear has to be out of the way first or not. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif But I'm sure someone will pop in with the answer soon. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. MTBLAZER89

I already removed the ring gear and the carrier. If I remove the pinion that way will I have to get a new crush sleeve and reset pinion depth. I know I have to reset the carrier bearing preload and all that, but I really don't want to mess with the pinion. I would like to pull it out that way to clean everything easier.
    Thanks
    -Brian

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

No you wont need a new crush sleeve. Its the whole assembly, bearings and all kinda like a 3rd member but just for the pinion. You wont have ot reset the pinion depth because that shim between the housing and the pinion carrier its what adjusts the pinion depth, just re use it.

7. HarryH3

You just leave the yoke bolted to the pinion and nothing changes. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

There are some good pics in an article here. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif