Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bff question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by crazy427, Jun 17, 2004.

1. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

Do the rear wheel bearings need to be packed with grease or are they feed gearoil from the differential. I believe they use the gear oil but i want to make sure. thanks /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

They are supposed to be packed with grease so that they dont start up dry. The gear oil will eventually get there but the bearings will be dead by that time if you dont pack them with grease. My dad did that when I was a kid, sucks replacing everything twice.

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Yup, what he said.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

The other way to go would be to change the bearings then fill the diff up all the way; then before you drive the truck jack up one side of the axle real far so oil drains into the low side hub, then jack up the other side to fill the other hub.

5. one ton burb

one ton burb 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The other way to go would be to change the bearings then fill the diff up all the way; then before you drive the truck jack up one side of the axle real far so oil drains into the low side hub, then jack up the other side to fill the other hub.

[/ QUOTE ]this method works great, I have done it a few times.

6. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

I like the second one . sounds much easier /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gifThanks for the help guys /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif