Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bff,,question?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4xcrazy, Mar 7, 2004.

1. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

So, i take it the pinion needs to be pressed out of it's little carrier unit? or is there a "not so professional" way of removing this little 8a5tard?

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Remove the pinoin housing.
    Remove the pinion nut.
    Disassemble.
    Redneck way..
    Drop shaft.
    using a 3' pipe wrench and cheater bar secure the yoke.
    Loosen the pinion nut to where it turns easy.
    remove the housing and do what ya have to do.

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Well i got the pinion nut off,also got the yoke off, but now it's fighting me with removal of the pinion out of the bearing housing unit. What if any,,,am i missing here? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Did you remove the pinion housing from the carrier?

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

yes, i am just needing to remove the pinion from the small "pinion carrier" that unbolts from the front of the axle housing. it has two bearings on it and this is why i am assuming that it needs to be pressed off?

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Re: 14bff,,question? help/info please

Well, i just went out and tried one of those 3-jaw pullers, pull the bearing carrier/push the pinion out, /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif didn't work, /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif broke the puller, /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif hurt my wrist when slamed to the ground. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif oh well, i guess it's goin to the machine shop either tomorrow or Monday. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Re: 14bff,,question? help/info please No ones taken a 14bff apart on here?

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifNo one can help with delima?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gifAm i describing things correctly?? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gifMissed my wheeling trip today because i can't get this thing apart. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gifany info would be greatky appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Thanks peoples.

8. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Re: 14bff,,question? help/info please No ones taken a 14bff apart on here?

I just used a press to get it our of the pinion housing and to get off the pinion bearing. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif If you don't have access to a press then run through a machine shop they should do it for a small $ hope I helped /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    didn't work, broke the puller, hurt my wrist when slamed to the ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds normal to me......at least with our luck bro. Whenever you want come over I have a cold Smirnoff for ya. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

BTW hurry up and get that done , waiting on your call so I can tell ya all the wheelin' details. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

if you look at very end of the pinion stem notice theres a center deperession for a punch, clamp the pinion gear bearing housing in a vise or somethign and punch out the pinion with a good round punch and BFH, have someone catch the pinioin gear though

11. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

A press is the best, easiest, and fastest way to get them out. Every 14FF I've torn apart, I used a press to remove the pinions.

BTW, the "little carrier unit" technical name is "pinion support housing." /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yeah i had to miss the wheelin trip with all the buds out at FR42 here in Phoenix area, but i did manage to get the pinion off, while they were wheelin /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    i ended up taking it down the street to a Firestone shop where they happened to have a press, and let me tell you, it even gave the press a workout and when it finally popped,,, it literally popped and scared all of us when it did. Man that thing was on there. But as mentioned, it was replaced so i am currently now runnin 4.10's and all 8 lug /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

Thanks for the replies, it just took more than manual force to remove it.

See ya on the trails soon locals /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

What size was the press? I am going to install 5.13's in mine soon.

14. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I don't really know what size it was, it's at a Firestone tire and service store, so whetever they use to press things on with. It really wasn't very big, heck the pinion teeth wouldn't fit through the bottom of the press, person had to stack plates to get the gear up high enough for it to drop to release the bearing. Just a small hand pump operated press, nothing automatic.