Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bff shaving?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hossbaby50, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I was wondering how much you can shave and still not have to worry about strength issues. How much is to much? Any input is welcome on this. Thanks.

Harley

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

3. Hossbaby50

NObody else has any insight here? Who has shaved there 14bff, and how much did you shave. Was it to much, to little? How much can I get away with. I am running 32's, so I need every bit of room I can get. Thanks

Harley

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i shaved a lil off my ff14b... check my bb02 build up album for pics.

J

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

nice lower shock mounts /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

6. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

Shaved mine and second time out tried to peel the cover off. Going to build a skid plate for it. If you going to shave and do some serious wheeling definitely think about a rock ring or the like. I got some picts of the shaveing, let me know if you want me to email them to you.

7. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Harley, I have a couple of pictures of my axel in the photo gallery in the disc bake album. I ground the entire lip smooth with the back of the case and also took the edge of the cover off to the flat lip that bolts on the case. I then removed the cover (see picture) and it is obvious that I could still remove more without getting into the threaded holes. If you are going to put a shield under it why bother even grinding it? In my opinion you would really have to hit it hard to break the case. Not just slide over a rock.

8. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

Sliding over a rock is what peeled the cover lip up and let the gear lube start dripping out. I figure sooner or later I'll drop off some rocks and smack the diff right where its shaved and the weakest. I just made a 5/16" thick plate for the front mount which will bolt on using 5 of the 6 pinion bolts and a 5/16" thick plate the shape of a cover gasket which will be sandwiched between the cover and the housing. Next I will be forming 3/16" plate to the diff housing nice and snug then weld it to the mounts. I had shaved over 1/2" off the diff, right up to the bolt heads. So, the end result will be a minimum 1/4" more ground clearance than pre shaving and a more rock resistant rear. While I got the cover off I'll renforce it too.

Guess it depends on what type of wheeling you do and your comfort level. For rocks I'd rather skid plate everything and not have to cringe each time I screw up.

9. Hossbaby50

So basically if you get to the treads on the bottom bolt then you have gone a little far.

10. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Don't worry that's what JB weld's for!!

Mike