Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14BFF Small Shoes to Large Shoes???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Smitty, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I have a 14bff with the narrower shoes and drums. I also have a complete set of backing plates, shoes and drums with the wide shoes. Can I use the hubs that came with the narrow system with the wider shoes and drums? I just not sure if the hubs are the same between the two systems.

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

umm umm umm. I *believe* the hubs only differ for wheel offset, i.e. SRW or DRW, and not for axle width (van, truck, etc) and decidedly not for brakes.

Wouldn't make sense for GM to have THAT many flavours of parts.

Look in Billavista's 14BFF bible on Pirate, but I'm reasonably sure from my many reads that he doesn't mention such a difference.

Why not try it and post up your results here? :D I recently got a 14BFF with the 11" brakes or whatever the little ones are, but I didn't care as I was going disc... otherwise the interchangeability to the big-un's would be important!

Oh, thinking of that, the disc kits are the same for big or small brakes; they only differ for SRW or DRW, which implies to me that the hubs are the same for brakes and differ only for SRW/DRW.

-- A

3. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The hubs are the same. The width difference was made up in the backing plates.

4. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies. I didn't think there was a difference but that other drum just started looking wider and wider.... :o