Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bff Spool

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, May 7, 2004.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Anyone know if it is out yet? Has the prototype gone into production yet? Price, availability? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Thanks

Harley

P.S. Don't tell me to just weld it up, it already is, I just want to know and see what pricing is. I like the idea of having a real spool as opposed to a backyard spool.

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Detroit has released their version of a spool. Um.... ya.... about 20 years ago and called it a locker or a spool when you are on the throttle. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have actually wondered about when this will hit the open market too /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Read this

That's all I've ever heard about a 14 bolt spool.
    I can't believe no company has even come out with a mini-spool for the 14 bolt yet...it would be so easy. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

drivetrain direct has had a 14FF minispool advertised in the mags for the last 4 months for around $200. I couldn't find it on their site a month ago I will try again.

5. Hossbaby50

Yep, that is the article I read about it in. I was wondering if and when it will be available since I hadn't heard anything about it recently and 6 months isn't to far down the road from when that was posted.

Matt: one of the shops in the 4x4 mags has been advertising an ARB for a 14bff for awhile too but I have never seen a real one. I know a company was talking about making one about 1-2 years ago and it never hit the market.

Harley

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

they said first part of june it will be available. Go to the last page of the thread.

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The ARB 14 was in 4WPW ad. They meant 14SF (I called them before I got my detroit) DTD ad says full float 14 bolt minispool. The picture of it matches a 14FF carrier using a round block with 4 pins sticking out (the cross shaft) I haven't called them yet though, and it is not on their crappy site.

8. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    drivetrain direct has had a 14FF minispool advertised in the mags for the last 4 months for around $200. I couldn't find it on their site a month ago I will try again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive wondered when someone would finally make this but $200 seems pricey for a mini spool when Detroits are only $180 more /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

How do you think a 7000lbs Burb would deal with a locked rear (14bff) i know abolut the tries and it characteristics from reading about it all over here, but most of you all have the lighter Blazers or pick ups or even truggies with hardly any metal at all on them. Detroit be better for the Burb ya think, i already know i'm yankin out the front welded carrier, that was waaay too much hassle for me.

10. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

TJ I bet my K5 weighs in real close to your burb. I have shaved some weight but my steering arm alone weighs 10 lbs not to mention the cage tubing, armor, bumpers, winch, tools, spare parts. Harley is right there with me cause he carries more parts and tools than I do (I tend to run real light on tools and parts) I think a detroit will be more than enough.

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    you all have the lighter Blazers or pick ups

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe in Bizarro World... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. Hossbaby50

Well if I didn't have to carry all these spare axleshafts for TJ's welded front I would be 100#'s lighter. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Ya, I carry alot of crap. When my top is on and my tailgate is one I imagine I will weigh in pretty heavy too. Especially after this summer when I get my sliders and fromt winch bumper done. I am going to work on getting a cage in this summer too. My truck is going to have to go on a diet after all the steel that is going into it.

Matt will probably have you beat on weight once he gets his doubler in. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Harley

13. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well if I didn't have to carry all these spare axleshafts for TJ's welded front I would be 100#'s lighter. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh huh, am i detecting sarcasm there? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

14. Hossbaby50

Just a hint. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

When I heard you welded up your front I became more worried about you snapping and axle then me. I had 3 spare longside shafts and 2 spare short side shafts in the back of my truck. Only one of each was for me .... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Harley

15. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, like i said though, i didn't really think there would have been a problem with me runnin those small ass tires still, but thanks for bringin them anyways, it was a learning experience for me and i found out i don't like it, i like the added traction, but not the way it reacts all the time while driving engaged.

Anyhoo, i'm employed again, so "real" parts will be applied in the future.