Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14BFF spring perches ... new twist.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Dec 10, 2004.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Yeah, I did done searched, and hey, the new search is pretty cool.

But I'm stumped as to what the PO did with this axle I just got. The guy I got it from didn't know squat, he buys trucks for the big blocks, puts them into muscle cars and parts out trucks to make back a few $$. Fair enough.

Pulling the cover and the pinion whatsit let me count gears, 41 and 10. Hmm... lessee, would that be 4.10:1? :D

I've been perusing Billavista's 14BFF bible on the Pirate board ... wow. http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/14b_bible/index.html

The axle is ~72" WMS to WMS, which makes it a regular (not cab & chassis) dually. There's one question: Should I replace the hubs and make it narrower, or is Wider Better for my '74 K5?

The Big Question in my mind, however, is wtf is with the two spring perches?

The inboard set is about right for the 1-ton, ~40.5" center-to-center for the outside half -- they're also square, like they could do two leaves side-by-side, or for the 67-72 coil springs?

The outboard set is centered at about 47-48". What the heck is that about? They're also rectangular, as I'm used to.

[​IMG]

Anyway, I am expecting to break out the grinders and straighten out this mess of perches and frightening shock mounts... but I'm just curious as to what the heck the PO was thinking?

-- A

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Maybe it has something to do with the overload springs . Dave k5redneck has a 1 ton flatbed 4x4 with what looks like another set of leaves in there . Thats just my guess :dunno:

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

they could have been pad for air bags too:dunno:

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That thing is gonna be too wide unless you plan on running Hummer rims. It's a full 5" wider than a regular SRW 14 bolt. It's likely more complicated than changing hubs too. I'm sure the axle shafts are longer than regular too...

When you originally posted about the K30 14 bolt I ASSumed it was a SRW 14 bolt and not a dually 14 bolt :doah:

Rene

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

It has been about 6 months since i have looked at 14FF drums since i did a disc swap.....but i swear that looks kinda like a dually. Any other opinions....I would like to know if i am wrong

6. sublmnl1990

sublmnl1990 1/2 ton status

Did it definately come out of a pickup? My bro bought a step van from a business going under and the van had just had a bunch of factory work done to it. Create engine trans and rear end. The rear end had 3 set shock mounts and perches like you describe like it is set up to fit into different applications. Do not know if this helps, and it is a little narrower too.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

IFS rigs have that. The pad is where the bumpstop hits the axle.

8. dremu

Oh yeah, well, I didn't know what it was 'til I measured it. It was cheap. :|

Yeah, I'd need the other set of shafts and hubs, according to the Billavista article, but I think that would cover it. We'll see.

Worst case I can use it to hold my driveway down :D

-- A

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

we have a winner

that axle is out of an IFS rig. You can also tell cause the center section is ribbed, meaning its a newer style 14 bolt. You should be able to remove the drums without having to pull an axleshaft. Older 14 bolts you can't do that.

10. dremu

Well, I learn more every day. Thanks all!

So, if I 'member right, the rear axle on these trucks is narrower than the front to begin with... but prolly not 5" narrower, huh? Is 5" really THAT much wider, especially since I gotta hack up the wheel wells/fenders anyway?

Worst case I got me a pretty lawn ornament :histerical:

-- A

11. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I've got a '95 C3500 with a 14BFF dually if you want to look at the rear axle to compare to what you have.

12. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

My '95 C3500 Dually with a 14BFF rear axle has inboard drums like the older one. You have to pull the hubs to take the drums off of it.

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

SRW changed, I guess DRW didn't. As for the width, the difference in front and rear axle factory on the older Chevy's is 3". So really this axle would only stick 1" further out on each side.

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

SRW 14 is 67".

SRW 3/4 and one ton fronts are 69.5"

His rear would be 2.5" wider than the front. Personally I already find the front to be borderline too wide...already plenty of tire sticking past the body. Can't think another 1 1/4" on either side on the back is going to look good IMO.

The van width 14 bolt is ideal though, it's only 1/2" wider than a 3/4 or one ton front...not enough to notice.

Rene

15. dremu

Well, I may just drop-kick this axle, or trade it for an SRW axle. We'll see. Worst case I can put it on the Blazer, and put 31"s on it, give it that low-rider Honda tire-sticking-out look :pimp1: :screwy:

-- A

16. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

so where you live big block trucks ANS muscle cars exist ? enough for this guy to be doing it all the time ??

if so thats insane he must be one rich bastard and really hate trucks,
    poor trucks..
    hope not doing it to the CST era trucks too.... :/

and yet again i must say: i really need to move away from here then!

:/

heh

interesting 14 FF axle info,

hum

good luck

17. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Yeah, no pic, but that what it sounds liek to me. I assume the housing is ribbed too.