Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14BFF spring perches.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cybrfire, Aug 21, 2003.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Someone makes these things to weld on for like 15 bucks. I lost my book mark. Can somebody throw me a bone here???

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Echobit makes them for $46. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i got mine from a 4 wheelk drive shop in san jose cali for 20 bones.they are still on the axle and worked good.maybe call azkickin off road and see what they can do.

4. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Kert,Can't remember if this place has them. I think I remember the post you are talking about. I can't find it either. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Nope, guess they don't have them. I'll have to try azkickin yet. How about running a 3.25" hole saw through some rectangular tubing then cutting it in half. 2.5" wide by whatever as long as it is 4. Might try that tomorrow if I can find the right stock... Thanks anyways guys. Worst case scenario I will buy them from Echobit. Little bit pricy. I'm a tightwad.

6. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    How about running a 3.25" hole saw through some rectangular tubing then cutting it in half. 2.5" wide by whatever as long as it is 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is what I'd try. The heavier the wall, the better. Could also design a little more rear lift in that way.

7. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

so the cost on Echobit is $45.00, think about it...you have to find a piece of steel, then drive and pick it up, then cut it...how much time do you think you will spend to save $45.00 minus the steel cost?

8. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I made my perches....very similar to this article.

I just took two 5" long pieces of 2.5" X 2.5" X 0.25" wall square steel tube and traced the half moon shape onto the steel. I drew up the perch full scale at work using my CAD software and just transfered the shape to the steel. I then used a gas-ax to cut the half-moon out and then clean it up with a ginder.

I then cut some caps out of 0.25" plate and boxed the ends, drilled the alignment hole and was pretty much ready to weld them on the axle. Total cost...about $5! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

How many hours? Tools? + the cost of whatever else you could be fixing at the same time..... = $Priceless!

Buy them for $45!
    Mine are from solid stock, bought them here from someone and payed $50, he stopped making them! Personally, it's the only way to go! Your time is worth it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I had about 3 hours in mine. I used the tools in the shop at work. Just think....it saved me $45! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    How many hours? Tools? + the cost of whatever else you could be fixing at the same time..... = $Priceless!

Buy them for $45!
    Mine are from solid stock, bought them here from someone and payed $50, he stopped making them! Personally, it's the only way to go! Your time is worth it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> Rockjunkies stopped making them? Those suckers are pure beef, I got them on my truck too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Good product for someone else to start making too, there was always demand for them. </font>

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I make the occasional set as a favor now and then. I can't really sell them because I'd never make a cent on them...too labor intensive. I just finished a set for FWP and I prolly have over 4 hours into them plus machining. I don't gas-ax em out of tube though.

To make them affordable they have to majorly mass produced or you have to suck it up and build them yourself. $46 is quite a reasonable price, and I bet Mike isn't making much on them either.

These are the ones I did for ftn96 a couple years back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FWP's are similar... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif (they'll be on their way by Saturday Fred)

Rene

13. 6869704x4

6869704x4 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]

Buy them for $45!

[/ QUOTE ]

Satisfaction of doing yourself....priceless x 2
    I built some like the rockready sites perches.

14. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

this is like the other post where if guys can pick up the steel for $10.00 bucks then the parts should cost $15.00..I like how guys are saying it took them 3 to 4 hours to build and they saved $45.00 dollars....ummm...$45.00-$10.00(steel)= $35.00/3.5(hours)=$10.0 per hour /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif(now take out overhead, tools, gas to pick up steel...)looks to be around $6.25 per hour /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif...I'm in the wrong business, I should be building truck parts... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif...

15. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I just welded my set of these on last night...Thanks RENE!!!

16. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You've had those so long I'll bet they could tell a story by now./forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Good to see they finally got put to use!

Rene