Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bff swap details

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Great78burb, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Great78burb

Great78burb Registered Member

I have already searched, but haven't found any specific answers to my questions. I am prepping to swap a 14bff into my 1/2ton '78 Sub and was wondering what year and vehicle makes the best donor? I have been told that any 3/4 ton vehicle '73-81 will work. Are the spring perches the same from a truck to a sub? What about a van? Also will my rear lift blocks be useable, or will they not work with the 14bolt spring plate and u-bolts? I know this has probably been covered several times, I'm just having a problem finding anything specific enough. Thanks for any help! /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

you want a 3/4 ton 14ff they bolt right up. the spring perches match. and yes you can use your blocks. the only thing you should need id new u-bolts.

3. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

Will the drive shaft have to have any work? What about brakes? Will the spring plates have to be changed to fit the new, larger U-bolts? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks for the help. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

all stuff i was just going to ask right there..also..can you use a lift that was ment for a 1/2 ton or does it have to be heavier springs or something?

5. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

yer drive shaft will work just fine, but you will have to use one of those bastard u-joints in the drive shaft inorder to match the yoke on the 14ff. and yes any lift for a half ton will work. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

You will need larger u-bolts and make sure ya get the spring plates from a 14 bolt. 12b/10b ones won't work. I bought a u-bolt kit for a 3/4 ton with a 4" block lift from Superlift, I can't remember the part #, but it was almost $50. The Napa part # for the u-joint you need is either #348 if your truck had a 12 bolt or #447 if it had a 10 bolt. I had a 12b so I needed the 348.....cost me $27. The brake lines hook right up....No probs there. My e-barke cables were a bit too short, so I didn't hook them up. No big deal....I could probably get them hooked up if I adjustied it all the way out...I don't miss them. make sure ya get some brake fluid for bleedin the brakes. Have some WD40 on hand for the old u-bolts. I can't think of anything else.....Good luck dude. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif See if you can beat my swap time of 2 hours 15 minutes. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

That's the little things I was looking for. Thanks.

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I guess you had your answers, except, the Van axle will not bolt right up it's wider and the spring perches are further out.