Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bff swap have a few questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TxK5Blazer, Nov 12, 2003.

1. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I just found a 14bff for my K5 yeah I know I just swapped the rear axle under it about a month ago but I could not pass up this deal. It has 4.56 gears already so I can live with that. I am wondering if I will have to shorten my driveshaft when I install the 14bff because of the size
    of it.....Just asking Jason

I swapped in a newer 10bolt about a month ago with 4.56 gears and just want something that won't break as often
    I hope ....Jason

2. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I think you can move the axle back about 1" and it will be good...

3. TxK5Blazer

thanks tony and I can do that with a set or zero rates right ....Jason

4. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

are you running a stock drive shaft? If so then it should help compinsate for the lift.

5. TxK5Blazer

yes i am running my stock driveshaft right now and have my transfer case droped one inch also if that is the case you are right. Now why didn't I think of that....Jason

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

You'll be fine with the d-shaft you have now.

Lot's of people claim that the 14 bolt and 10 bolt have very similar measurements when it comes to the distance the yoke is from the axis through the axle tubes. Some say it's more. But, I can tell you from my experience, you'd actually need slightly more driveshaft length when making the swap. The increased tube diameter over the 10 bolt and the size of the spring perches must account for a little lift because after installing my 14 bolt FF in place of my 10 bolt, I can see that the slip yoke of the driveshaft sticks another 3/4" out of the t-case.

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    You'll be fine with the d-shaft you have now.

Lot's of people claim that the 14 bolt and 10 bolt have very similar measurements when it comes to the distance the yoke is from the axis through the axle tubes. Some say it's more. But, I can tell you from my experience, you'd actually need slightly more driveshaft length when making the swap. The increased tube diameter over the 10 bolt and the size of the spring perches must account for a little lift because after installing my 14 bolt FF in place of my 10 bolt, I can see that the slip yoke of the driveshaft sticks another 3/4" out of the t-case.

[/ QUOTE ]Yep, my shaft length was better with the old 10bolt. Many people get confused, with a 10 bolt to 14 you need an extra 1" or so on the shaft. When going from a 12 bolt to a 14 then you might need a little less shaft, a 12B has a shorter pinion than a 10B.