Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bff swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Tahozer, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Tahozer

Tahozer Newbie

I blew up my 10 bolt pulling the crawler so now its time to upgrade. I found a 14bff in the local junkyard out of a 1995 1 ton Suburban (unknown whether it was 4wd or 2wd) with my gearing (3.73). If I ignore the fact that it is a different lug pattern than my half ton 97 Tahoe what else am I going to have to deal with to put this axle in my half ton? Is the WMS the same as my 10 bolt? Are the perches at different widths from 1/2 tons to 1 tons? Is there a difference in 4wd vs. 2wd late model 14 bolts? Do I need to shorten my d-shaft? Will I be able to use my e-brake cables? Is ABS going to be something to worry about? Etc Etc Etc....... Basically ANY information will help me. I have been searching around the site and will continue to do so but I need to get this thing back on the road ASAP so HELP ME!!! Thanks guys.

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Burbs are not 1-ton, btw. It'll also be a semi-floater in a Burb.

Post-91 Burbs, however, are IFS, and so the spring perches in back are all wrong. You'll have to cut the perches and spring mounts off and re-weld them.

I would strongly suggest an earlier model 14 bolt off a 3/4 ton truck as they'll bolt right up.

-- A

3. Tahozer

Tahozer Newbie

Ok I won't contest its not a 1 ton because I don't know. The guy who owns the yard said it came out of a 95 burb. I went there looking for a 14bsf and he showed me this axle. It was definately a ff axle not a sf so then what is it? The center section looks identical to other late model 14bff I have seen and he was certain it came out of a burb. So a 95 burb springs are a different width apart than a 97 Tahoe? Why would that be? And I have read that older 14bff perches have to be relocated to put them under a later model Tahoe... so which older 14bff are you refering too?

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

:doah:

You *did* say you wanted to put it into a newer IFS truck, didn't you :haha:

Ignore most of what I said then. :D

I don't know about the newer body styles like yours -- prolly good to post in the IFS forum here -- but in the olden days, the 1/2's and 3/4's had the same spring spacing. Presuming this axle came off a Burb, which only come in 1/2 and 3/4, you should be golden to drop it under your T-hoe.

:doah:

Sorry. I'm not usually that dumb.

-- A

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

not many guys here with late 90s rigs... post up a measurement from center pin to center pin on your curent rear end and we could prolly help more...

j

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

2wd/4wd doesn't matter.... that '95 Burb 14bff will be a bolt-on for your spring perches. Spring spacing is a constant on those trucks... 1/2, 3/4, 1-ton, 2wd, or 4wd...so long as it isn't a cab & chassis model.

You will need to make your own swaybar brackets if you want to keep that. The axle tube is thicker, so you need larger u-bolts and plates.

Pinion length is fairly close between the 10-bolt and 14bFF. You will need to gauge that one for yourself. A conversion u-joint is most likely necessary (probably a S44 to 1350).

The 14bFF brake cables will be required. They are longer at the axle end because of the larger diameter drum. I hope they are the same length at the other end. :thinking:

ABS should not be a problem... that's taken care of by the front wheel-speed sensors, and the VSS in the t-case.

Overall WMS measurement is narrower but works out fine with the normal/neutral offset of the 8-lug wheels.

7. sebban

sebban Registered Member

Does the e-brake cable for a 12bolt fit on the 14bff?

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Possibly... if the 14bFF has the 11" drums, and the backing plates are the 83-older style.

Otherwise no.

9. sebban

sebban Registered Member

Yay!!!

I think I´m in luck.. It´s with 11" drums and its from -79.. :laugh:

10. Tahozer

Tahozer Newbie

Sweet, thanks for the info guys. I might document the swap and post a write up about it so anyone else doing this swap will have some idea of what is involved.

11. brotha b

brotha b Registered Member

dont know but there is confusion about this you might b better off going older