Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bff ujoint question of a different kind

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mechted, Jul 8, 2004.

1. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

planning to do a 14bff conversion on a 1/2 ton longbed pickup... got to thinking: the drive shaft is 2 piece.. so would it be possible to remove the last section with the 1310 yoke and slide in a replacement with a 1350 yoke so you dont have to buy a conversion u joint?
    are the # of splines different on the slip portion? or the diameter? havent actually looked at the two side by side yet, any help is much appreciated

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Why dont you just use the conversion u-joint??

3. mechted

mainly to avoid the "broke and no one has the part" thing... although i know that all Napas and Chucks/Kragen/Schucks will have them
    im really just wondering... i doubt i would actually do it

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Theoretically you could do it, but I wouldn't waste the time. Make sure you verify the length when you're done.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Carquest will stock those joints or have them available next day as well.

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

which end is at the dif?
    if it is the female splined part you can do that
    I think it is a much better idea then the conversion joint

7. mechted

ok well i went looking tonight and the whole second shaft would have to be moved over.... the slip splines are at the center bearing, changing shafts would probably require a rebalance, so, yeah... wont work so well

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    mainly to avoid the "broke and no one has the part" thing...

[/ QUOTE ]

Next time you have some money to spare , whether its broke or not, buy a spare and keep it in truck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I agree with paul. I usually try to have a spare anything that would be a pita to be without for more than an hour. tre's joints, belts, hoses ect. I have a spare of every joint in my truck for just that reason. And it is a bonus cause the next time you need to replace it you have it and if you are broke no problem it is already paid for.

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I agree with both of them. They try to carry spare parts that would be a PITA to get, I try and carry spare everything. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif You name it there is a good chance I will have it with me. That is why guys who run light on the trail spare like Matt like to wheel with guys like me. I probably have enough stuff for both of us. Call it paranoia (sp) I call it prepared.

I carry the spare conversion ujoint to adapt a 14bff to a 1/2 ton shaft already installed in a spare shaft. I carry all the parts I can carry. It would need to be a major failure (motor, trans, tcase) for me not to have the parts to at least limp home. Like mentioned, buy the parts when you can afford them. I bought my collection of crap over the last few years. A little here, a little there all adds up.

Harley