Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bFF with no spindle locknut - stock or bogus?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jed, May 15, 2002.

1. Jed

Jed Registered Member

I just took off the hub/drum assembly from my GM 14 bolt, full-floater to look at the brakes. It only had the adjusting nut on the spindle including the key and key-retainer ring. Is this normal or has some turkey done a bad servicing in the past?

The reason I as is that the Haynes manual I'm using talks about a locknut. They don't show any pictures tho. I've got a Chilton's manual on order so I can cross match it with the Haynes on things like this.

Thanks in advance!

2. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

As far as i know there are 2 different types of locking mechanisims for the 14ff----the one you talk about is like a little block that you have to position the nut right along w/ the spindle to lock everything and then you put a "snap ring of sorts" that is curved where the block "key" goes (This is the one I have and and have seen one other like it (my 14FF is from a 1 ton van) and my friend has the system like the front. where one nut goes on, then a nother ring that "locks" the 1st nut, and another nut sandwiches it. (he has a 14FF from a 3/4 truck.)we were kinda confused at first also but as an old friend said-----"Just go with it"

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Mine also has the single nut with key and retainer ring.

4. Jed

Jed Registered Member

Thanks for the quick feedback. I'm glad I don't have to make an extra trip to the parts store.

As for 'just going with it' I'm a bit skeptical on this truck so far - I just bought it and the guy had just replaced the front brake pads. Good I thought. Then when I was replacing the calipers (due broken bleed screws and I had a steering pull to fix by hopefully a good bleed job) I found that the turkey has mismounted the inner pad such that it had fallen down between the rotor and the bottom of the backing plate! I still don't know why the brakes didn't squeal like h*ll from the caliper cup grinding away on the rotor. I find it hard to believe that someone could screw up this badly.