Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14Blt Brake Questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 8t7jimmy, Nov 9, 2005.

1. 8t7jimmy

8t7jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

First, is their any reason to run a 3/4 caliper over a 1/2 ton caliper? Also, i need to put new hard lines on the 14blt axle, (old ones are completely gone). What size line is stock and/or what size should I run? 3/16, 1/4, ...

Thanks

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i run 1/2 ton calipers no problems with 38 tsl tires on 1 ton. lock up fine:D and crossover lines are 3/16 size the tine stuff

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Aren't 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton the same calipers?

;)

4. sweetk30

piston just a bit bigger on 3/4 ton units.

5. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Uh, then I'm running one of each. When I bought my 8 lug front end it came with calipers too, but the bleeder was rusted and broke off in the caliper. I set them side by side and couldn't SEE any difference, and it stops fine. :dunno:

6. 8t7jimmy

8t7jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thanks for the info. I am going to run the 1/2 calipers in the rear, just so they match the front.

With the 3/4 calipers having a bigger piston, should i use them in the front?

7. sweetk30

the diffrence is minimal to look at. and for all we know the reman places might just pass off the 1/2 tons in the 3/4 boxes at times.

8. 1HighK5

1HighK5 1/2 ton status

I know this is a little off topic but i did the disc swap on my 14 blt. should i change ne thing else on my K5 or will it work ok if i just hook up and bleed the brakes again. I hear alot of talk about valves for proportioning and hydro boost and stuff like that. do i really have to get that into it?

9. lrazer

lrazer 1/2 ton status

i heard the same stuff when i was doing mine but i just figured i'd try it and see how it works and i had no problems the difference in stopping power and distance was like night and day, no problems with the back locking up or anything

10. 1HighK5

1HighK5 1/2 ton status

so your sayn i could just use the same stuff i got with the new disc set up on the back with out ne majo problem or noth'n

11. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

1highk5 - it's hit and miss with the prop vlave issue. The best thing to do is to install the conversion, bleed the brakes THOROUGHLY, and road test it. We have done this conversion on at least 20 different rigs and sold the kit to many more. We have yet to run into a prop. valve issue. But, I hear of guys that can't touch the pedal with them locking up the rears. Try it first, then figure out what you need.

12. lrazer

lrazer 1/2 ton status

yea on my truck i set it up without any valves or anything just basically ran new hardlines from the T fitting on the axle to a brake hose to the caliper, didn't have any problems with rears locking up or anything on my k5
    when i did my buddies i was concerned about it because he had a longbed (less weight over the axle) but worked just as good as mine, both truck stop on a dime, couldn't be happier with the disc conversion

13. 1HighK5

1HighK5 1/2 ton status

Thanks I run it and see how it goes

14. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Mine was not that bad after the swap, but it would lock up the rears almost instantly if it was raining. I just installed an adj. prop valve from Wilwood. Works great now.